Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Seems a lot of maintenance - all motos this way? (Read 672 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Seems a lot of maintenance - all motos this wa
Reply #15 - 08/10/09 at 04:56:31

I'll pick up a fork brace.  The lack of surefootedness (good term!) is the primary trouble.  That's what worries me.  Front end just doesn't feel glued down.  

I seem to have the mixture dialed in well enough now.  Think the pilot is pretty good.  Might still be a little light on main.  I'll do a chop sometime and see.  When I really have time to waste!

Certainly I'm getting to the point where I change the seat, though.  And add a backrest.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 08/10/09 at 06:06:14

+1 on the fork brace. The Tkat is good.  

I love air-cooled thumpers and will probably stick with them for life. I hate the idea of syncing carbs, adjusting multi-valve multi-heads, 2 to 4 times the opportunity for trouble, etc.  Vibration doesn't seem bad at all.  If anything, it's more pleasant than the high-frequency buzz you get with bikes w/more cylinders.  With thumpers you just have to make sure everything's buttoned down tight.

The day Honda puts their XR650 engine into a bike less than 10 feet off the ground, and I have 3x the money I paid for my S40, I may want to upgrade.  But by that time I should be able to take the S40 apart blindfolded, so it's doubtful I'd save much maintenance time in the long run.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 08/10/09 at 06:57:32

Plenty of lower maintenance bikes. Plenty of easier to work on and lower maintanance as well. One thing though, they are not cruisers. Standards or sporty standards.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #18 - 08/10/09 at 08:44:38

My LS650 has 8K and I have had to put on front break pads, and done a few oil changes. Seems to be a pretty low mainenace bike. My last bike was a1974 Honda CB550F. I spent more time working on it than on it. I have recently broke a part in my transmission though and that's making me a bit mad. With only 8K I would not think anything like that sould happen. I have been assured it's a cheap part and not that hard to fix but I'm still not looking forward to it. I did have a 250 Kawasaki Ninja for a couple of years. Only thing I ever had to do to it was adjuct the valves. Other than taking off all the plastic crap it was a pretty easy job and the motor was well designed for the job. I'll have to keep everyone up to date on my transmission problem. I'm pretty sure I have to take the pipe off to get the trans cover off. I'm really not looking forward to taking the pipe off.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/10/09 at 08:58:03

srinath wrote on 08/10/09 at 06:57:32:
Plenty of lower maintenance bikes. Plenty of easier to work on and lower maintanance as well. One thing though, they are not cruisers. Standards or sporty standards.
Cool.
Srinath.

Wish I knew more about them.  The S40 doesn't feel nearly as cruiserish as most that I sit on.  

What would be a few nice handling, low maintenance, easy to deal with bikes 500 to 750 cc?  Or thereabouts.  I keep finding my brainwashing with 1960s and 1970s bikes getting in the way of really seeing what's appropriate and effective.  I describe where I go and where I'm likely to go and what I like to do - and three different people immediately came up with the KLR650.  Hmm.  I kind of like the low easy position.  But maybe there's something to an adventure touring machine.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 08/10/09 at 09:40:37

my 95 has just over 8000 miles on it and i'm pretty sure besides oil change the previous owner hasn't done anything.

i do have the cap plug leak but it's not bad enough for me to fix lol i've replaced the flasher relay and a fuel hose other then that i just put gas & a little oil in her! lol

BUT i have completely customized my bike, all in my backyard mind u! i've taken apart lawn mowers before, i'm guessing it's similar!! i've noticed that the more crap put onto something, the more crap that goes wrong!

i also enjoy being a little different from the hondas & the harleys, but that's just me talking  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #21 - 08/10/09 at 12:10:50

I've heard good things about the Honda Nighthawk, as far as being reliable and low maintenace. It reminds me too much of my CB550F I had though. Those are some bad memories. Trying to get 4 carbs to synch and work properly is a pain in the @ss.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 08/10/09 at 20:59:31

voldigicam wrote on 08/10/09 at 08:58:03:
srinath wrote on 08/10/09 at 06:57:32:
Cool.
Srinath.

Wish I knew more about them.  The S40 doesn't feel nearly as cruiserish as most that I sit on.  

What would be a few nice handling, low maintenance, easy to deal with bikes 500 to 750 cc?  Or thereabouts.  I keep finding my brainwashing with 1960s and 1970s bikes getting in the way of really seeing what's appropriate and effective.  I describe where I go and where I'm likely to go and what I like to do - and three different people immediately came up with the KLR650.  Hmm.  I kind of like the low easy position.  But maybe there's something to an adventure touring machine.

In no particular order -
GS500 - oddly there is plenty of complaints ... tires not wide enough (show off), the shocks is squishy (katana shock swap), the carbs are cold blooded (for which I sell a kit that fixes it) some more general BS, but, that bike usually does not break, rarely needs valve adjustment and overall runs about the same as the savage.

Virago 750/1100 and oddly 535 too - lower maintenence and in a way easier too, but you need to get the carbs out on the big virago's ... bring your lunch ... however my record for out is 9 mins and back in is 15 ... but that number on a saavge is likely to be in seconds ... They got starter issues but not the way savage does ...

I also seriously love the 80's maxim's and radians. 84 and later I4 maxims. 86-91 radian.

KZ 440 and air cooled belt driven kawi's of the 80's that were cousins of the KZ series. CSR, and spectre, etc.

Yes nighthawk's but I like 650 and 700 which were shafties.
450 rebels and 600 eliminators but buy post 96 on the 600 eli's. better valve material making it wear slower.
Long list ... but savage is great, its neither low maintenance nor is it easy ... its easier than many, but not the easiest.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #23 - 08/11/09 at 11:56:32

It does look like we do alot of stuff to our bikes. But it's due to want, not need. Anyone that is into their bike enough to find and register on a site like this is a tinkerer in one way or another. We get crazy ideas and like to bounce them off of other mad men (and women). The up keep is the easy part.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #24 - 08/11/09 at 13:42:23

I have a 96 with 12000+ miles on it. How do you know when to do the cam chain thing? Runs Bad or not at all?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 08/11/09 at 14:33:14

Oldnewguy, you know you'll need a chain. If Lancer has one left, you should snag it. Soak it in oil, even if it feels oily as hekk. The only way to know for certain its okay "In there" is to pop the side cover off. Once you know its okay & have measured how far the tensioner is poking out, you can guess at how much longer the chain will last. Recommend the tensioner be swapped for the Verslavy modded one. It will allow you to get all the miles from a cam chain that are possible. If you are trying to wring the performance out of it, Lancer has a cam available. I did it & Id do it again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #26 - 08/11/09 at 15:00:15

I'll probably have 14000 by the end of riding season. Should I just plan on that as a winter project? What happens when it goes bad or out of adjustment or whatever it does?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/11/09 at 17:30:08

Check the tech section the cam chain adjuster check and various other cam chain issues in the index.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #28 - 08/12/09 at 03:49:15

I will do that. I checked the pics on the CD last night and kind of understand the whole thing, sort of. I will probably also get a Clymers manual to go with the tech section.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/12/09 at 07:50:56

Yep, need a book. It will come in handy several times.
I was gonna retorque the head while I was in there, but forgot.So, its never been done.
You gonna get a modified tensioner?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:37:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seems a lot of maintenance - all motos this way?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.