Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
flat tire (Read 194 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

flat tire
08/07/09 at 09:33:07

Last night ran over a nail in my back tire, no wreck, just a pain getting the bike loaded into a pick up truck. so now the decisision is to patch the tire or get a new tire.

so it's like $70 for a patch if the tire is on the bike, but I could probably take it off and save $30 bucks or so, then I just have to put it back on myself, but that's a patch, the tire has 4600 miles on it now, for a new tire it's $84 bucks and $52 labor to put it on the rim then I'd have to put it on the bike so that's $137 for a new tire

how many miles do rear tires usually last? cause if it's close to being worn out at 4600 miles I'd rather get a new one. if I can patch/fix it, and go for another 5000 miles, I'd do that

this might also require the additional expense of getting a lift to use for another $100 bucks, but I think I can use my car jack, it's a bit awkward but it works.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: flat tire
Reply #1 - 08/07/09 at 09:39:35

Look at the tread wear. At 4,600 miles I would say its time for some fresh meat back there as opposed to dropping more than 1/2 the $$$ for a new tire in a tire well past 1/2 of its life. Fixing it doesnt mean much patching. You could do it yourself. Get a new tube & put a patch( the best ones have a rubber "titty" with an aluminum cap wrapped around it, to make shoving it thru the hole possible. Once its in place, the aluminum comes off & the rubber gets cut off even with the surface of the tire.The patch is just to protect the tube from some little something hitting the hole the nail made. Wont protect near as well as a new tire would, but if it was a new tire, Id do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 08/07/09 at 09:47:37

first rear tire blew before 4000, second replaced after 6500 more -  still had some tread

just depends on the tire

4500 is probably more than halfway or close to gone

regarding the lift - check the tech section for homemade bike stand - then can just use car jack

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/07/09 at 09:50:35

A come along & a piece of rope will get that thing off the ground, if you have an overhead joist or limb that will handle it. Quick, cheap & easy. How you tie on matters, or it will lean over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/07/09 at 10:14:25

I change tires one tire at seasons end,one year front the next year rear,I change them myself,always with a new tube.
If you have trouble breaking the bead let the air out and ride it around your yard (slowly),if that don't work take the wheel off and use your shop vise.easy job,once you have done it a few times.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/07/09 at 10:41:21

If that idea bothers you, 2 pieces of 2X4, a chunk of 4X4 or 2 short pieces of 2X4 stuck together & a piece of rope to tie the 2X's together makes a quick, easy bead breaker. Lay the wheel on one 2X, run a loop of rope around the end poking out, lay the chunk on the tire & , stand the other 2X on edge, run it thru the rope loop, adjusted so the boards start crushing down on the chunk laying on the tire so that it doesnt drive it into the rim, but down on the tire. Everything is still usable as boards & rope, except for the little block, so it really costs about nothing.
The "Ride it on flats" idea is something Id try, next time. What could be easier? But I rode a flat rear for a ways & it didnt come off the rim, but it was a pretty new tire. Maybe with some wear it would work out. IDK if Id drop the thing or not, but I can see this being an easy something to try.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/07/09 at 12:00:57

I always lay the wheel down and press down with my knees to break the bead.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/07/09 at 12:51:15

Ive had to work pretty hard to get the rear to break loose. I dont think my knees are heavy enough. Maybe I could get Atlas to come by & kneel on it..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/07/09 at 13:33:55

$52 to install a tire is pretty expensive.
$30 plus $15 for a tube at my shop.

I've done the rear and it's a bee otch.  Got it all together and found out I pinched the tube.  So the shop ended up doing it anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 08/07/09 at 13:59:30

Any preference on tires amongst the people on here? My front has got some dry rot & I don't feel comfortable with it, the back can probably wait, but I need to do the front ASAP  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/07/09 at 14:24:08

If you put that tire on it & its been there long enough to dry rot, you bought too good of a tire. Digger buys tires that will wear out about the time they get old & saves $$ that way. What tire you want is based on your riding style & the miles per year. If you are a peg scraper & run lots of miles, spend the $$ & get something good. Several out there. Ill shaddup & let others name the names.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #11 - 08/07/09 at 17:07:19

Nail two 3' 2x8s together, add a handle, and you have a bike lift to go under the frame under the engine.  Jack up the rear and you have the rear ready to remove the wheel.  The routine is in the Clymer manual.
http://www.myacrobatpdf.com/2122/suzuki-ls-650-savage-86-a-04---service-manua...  There's some fiddling around to find the nuts for the belt guard, but it all goes off and back on easily.  In any case, those prices are way too high...find a different shop.  My local shop mounts a tire for $21; you do the removal and reinstall.

I just put Pirelli MT66 Route tires on my Savage and like them a lot.  The 140/90-15 fits the rear.  I bought a new rear tube with a 90° valve stem for easier inflation checks.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #12 - 08/07/09 at 18:52:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/09 at 12:51:15:
Ive had to work pretty hard to get the rear to break loose. I dont think my knees are heavy enough. Maybe I could get Atlas to come by & kneel on it..

a trick i use : bumper jack between my car bumper and old tire (careful not to put jack base on rim) - something under the wheel to protect it - jack up - squeezes tire off bead voila!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/07/09 at 21:12:39

We dont have a car with a bumper, its all plastic bodywork now. Ill just do my 2X4 trick, like I posted. But, If I still had one, Id give that a try.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/07/09 at 21:38:12

Thanks for the lift advice Smiley  that'll come in handy.

should I go to a special motorcycle store to get this done or just any tire place?   I think just any tire place would be cheaper. still thinking about just patching and plugging it, it's in the perfect spot for a patch and plug, right in the middle of the tire. any opinions and patches and plugs?   are they worth it?  I plan on changing the whole tire soon (well, within 2000 miles which is about 2 months of riding it the way I am now) anyway, I should just bite the bullet and do it now huh?  also I drive around 50-60 mph most of my commute to work with a little stint on the freeway at 65-70 mph and it's about 26 miles each way, if I was just driving around town I'd definately patch and plug it though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:32:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › flat tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.