I'm at a loss. (Read 234 times)
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
I'm at a loss.
08/06/09 at 11:58:27

I'm having a hard time with these freaking turn signals. The biggest problem I am having is getting them to flash. I have both LED lights in the front and rear, LED again LED FLASHER that is meant for LED's. With this set up they are VERY dim on the front, and flash fine on the rear.

When I use the stock it will not flash at all, which is fine and I know why. If I add a TINY light bulb that came out of the stock speedo, it will flash quickly but fine and everything is bright.

I have also put a resistor in between the flash wire and the ground wire and got them to flash, but it gets kinda hot.

Here is the thing that gets me, if I remove the headlight wiring from the circuit everything works fine with the LED flasher installed.

Also if I run the lights in any configuration and hold down the high beams the running lights in the front DIM bad.

I don't know if this makes any sense what so ever to any one. I hope some one can think of something though. Everything worked before just fine with rears being LED and the fronts were stock. I don't know why it should be so totally different now.

Thanks.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I'm at a loss.
Reply #1 - 08/06/09 at 13:08:29

Maybe if you take a circuit diagram and sketch out what you mean, cause I'm not following.

WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 08/06/09 at 14:21:36

I may have this wrong but..

I thought there was an extra connection to the front turn signals that is linked to the headlight and makes them operate as running lights when the headlight is on. If not an extra connection then I think it might just be bridged into the circuit somewhere.

Is it possible to still get the "running lights" with LEDs or should this connection just be removed?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/06/09 at 15:01:26

are the front leds 2 circuit? 3 wires? i doubt it,so what did you wire to for the front?
if they are 2 ckt,3 wire you have your running and t.s. wires backwards.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/06/09 at 16:17:06

Try a seperate ground wire to them. Roll Eyes Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 08/06/09 at 20:42:58

Front signals are 3 wire, running, turn and ground. I will try the separate ground wire in the morning. It was starting to get pretty hot and I was having a fail boat of a day at work last night so that didn't even cross my mind.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 08/07/09 at 06:36:48

Do you think it would be best to run a seperate ground for the head light. Or one for each of the front signals?

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #7 - 08/09/09 at 07:11:56

Go to www.superbrightleds.com and look for specs on LED's.  Different LED's use different resistor values as well as different forward current values and reverse voltage values. The formulas are not hard. The best way is.... you can buy Super bright LED bulbs that fit 1156 (one filament) and 1157 (two filament) sockets. You may want to look at their LEDS for your application. They are not expensive. You can even buy new sockets at NAPA for about $4.00 and build your own from scratch.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 08/09/09 at 07:59:06

Thanks for that info.
I have wrap around leds for the front. Last night I sat there until I figured out how to get them to work the way I wanted to. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but it will still work. Now I gotta figure out how to get the wiring cleaned up so it doesn't look so crazy.

That was also the site I got the LED Flasher from that didn't help at all and I don't know why. I'm guessing the LED's are not pulling enough juice. There are no built in resistors in them, like the rear LED's have.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #9 - 08/09/09 at 10:00:19

Not sure what is causing you problem.  I got a flasher and 1157 right angle leds from superbrightleds.  My back signals are leds, but they are an integrated unit since my stock rear signals were smashed up.  It works fine, didn't have to reroute any wiring.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 08/09/09 at 10:26:09

If I use any other LED's I have laying around they work with out having to do anything different, even with the stock flasher. So I had to figure out a way to get them to work. I had to wire in a resistor. One side goes from the flash wire and crosses to the negative. I made one for each front, then tested them being on for about 2 mins each and checked to see how hot they got. Neither side did get very warm at all and I've never had turn signals on for longer than that time.

I'm still having the problem of when the dim lights are on and I hold down the pass switch the front running lights get a lot more dim. I even tried different grounding wires like was mentioned but if you really think about it they all go back to the EXACT same spot anyhow. So I guess I'll just have to live with that for now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:29:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm at a loss.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.