Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Help, my clutch just went. (Read 653 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Help, my clutch just went.
Reply #15 - 08/06/09 at 12:45:30

verslagen1 wrote on 08/06/09 at 11:24:44:
BEARTRAP Warning?

I wouldn't even consider it a end table in the dark warning.

If you happen to install the clutch cover with the hook for the clutch cable in the down position (ouch my toe), operate the clutch lever with a cresant wrench and swing the hook around to the top.  Band aide applied.

Just be carefull not to force the lever beyound the stop.  Likely what started the crack in your cam in the 1st place.

Or, if the hook is in the down position after you put the clutch cover on, you can loosen the bolts around the clutch cover, pull it off slightly, and reposition the hook.  That way you don't have to take everything back off, and you won't accidentally force the lever beyond the stop.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/06/09 at 21:35:19

Duane wrote on 08/06/09 at 12:07:23:
My bike is just under 18K I think. So I need to inspect the cam chain while I'm in there? It is a 2003 if that makes any diffrence. I have to fix the blower in my wifes Pontiac before I can start on fixing my transmission. You guys make is sound like it will just take a couple hours.

Yep, take a look in the tech sect.  adjuster check or someting like that.

The skinny, if the plunger is out 18 (just the round part that slides in and out) it's time.  If it gets to 22mm, you are in the nick of time.  Can't tell you how much further it will go out, none have survived to tell.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/06/09 at 22:21:09

With that many miles on it, you might as well have a chain in hand.I would. Maybe you have that rare one & it will run another 15,ooo,, but, who knows?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #18 - 08/08/09 at 11:52:22

I was wrong I have 8K.

So do I have to take the head pipe off to get that trans cover off? Anyone know any good tricks for that? I don't want to break any bolts as I have done that on a car before.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #19 - 08/08/09 at 15:53:27

Soak the bolt threads in a good penetrant...Kroil or B'laster PB.  Soak again each day until you do the job if you think they might be really rusty.  If they don't want to come off after soakings, loosen a bit, tighten almost to where you started, spray on more penetrant, loosen a bit more, tighten, spray, loosen a bit more, tighten, spray, etc. until you're done.  You'll wash off the rusty particles instead of jamming them in the threads.

Liquid Wrench works somewhat, not as well as Kroil or B'laster PB.  WD-40 isn't much good.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #20 - 08/08/09 at 18:42:30

What about heating the bolts? I have heard of people using a tank torch on bolts, is this a bad idea?

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/08/09 at 22:29:37

If it doesnt want to loosen, try a little snugging action. If it doesnt want to let go, yes, use some Kroil, start early, use it often. An impact will make something let go w/o breaking when a wrench wont.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #22 - 08/09/09 at 08:18:02

Heat can work great.  Be sure you don't heat something that doesn't want heat...rubber bushings, paint, etc.  Heat only the part you want expanded...the nut, not the bolt.  Or cold shock to break the very brittle rust...heat then splash on cold water.  The expansion then contraction can fracture the rust.  If you heat a nut or bolt too much you'll take out any hardening (if it was high spec in the first place).  Be ready to replace anything damaged by the heat.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #23 - 08/10/09 at 05:52:03

It would be the 2 nuts that hold the exhaust to the cylinder. I belive there are only 2 but I have a feeling they will not want to come off easy. I think I have to take off the exhaust to get the cover off the transmission.

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/10/09 at 07:58:26

Lots of folks are continually tightening those 2 header bolts, maybe your wont be stuck. Start with a 6 point socket or wrench, anyway.
yEP, GOTTA PULL THE HEADER TO GET IN THERE.Opps, caplox..

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #25 - 08/11/09 at 05:50:27

Last night I was in my PJ's and my wife decided she need ice cream from the Sonic up the street. My truck was blocking in her car (she keeps her car in the garage with the Suzi-Savage) so I had to move my truck. After she left I was looking at Suzi and grabbed the scocket set just to see how hard those bolts were going to be. The came out smooth a silk. I know what I'm doing this weekend.  Wink

Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #26 - 08/12/09 at 05:11:43

Update: verslagen1 is a 650 guru.

I took my trans cover off last night. Verslagen1 was exactly right on the part. I found it in 2 parts in the bottom of motor. Now I need to start getting my parts to put it back together. The broken part, oil, filter, and the gasket for the trans cover. What was the other gasket you told me I would need?

So how do I re-install the part that I found broken in the bottom of the motor. Anyone have any pointers or tips on how to put her all back together to she will work right?

serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #27 - 08/12/09 at 05:21:11

runwyrlph wrote on 08/05/09 at 17:25:58:
http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-ls650-2007-clutch/o/m10380sch527352

part #23

i should let verslagen say for sure , but i think that's the part

at least it's not too much  $$$

That sounds like the part you need.  You probably won't be able to fix the old one.  The diagram in the parts fiche is a good guide for reassembly.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #28 - 08/12/09 at 10:58:25

That is the part, but what's the trick when re-installing it? I see there is a spring it goes up against as well.

youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/12/09 at 11:30:04

I don't have mine apart, so I will make some guesses.

The spring is what returns the arm (24) to the "disengaged" position when you release the clutch lever.  You should be able to figure out how it goes on based on that action.
Ummmm.. did you FIND the spring?  If not, you better go looking before it gets caught in something!!

Is the shim (26) still on the shaft?  Might need to look for that as well if missing.
I do NOT know if that shim is a force fit on the shaft, and if that is what holds the cam on the shaft .. or not.
Somebody?

If you are still ordering parts, get a O-Ring (27) as well.  Oil leaks can be a problem there, might as well change it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help, my clutch just went.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.