Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stupid Human Tricks after a Long Ride (Read 493 times)
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stupid Human Tricks after a Long Ride
08/05/09 at 13:29:03

Hi All, One thing I have noticed in the last year and three months I have owned this 07, is that after a long ride I do incredibly stupid (bleep). For intstance, after my first long ride last summer, and also the first time I rode at 60+ for over an 3 hours, I pulled up to get gas station, turned off the bike, took off my helmet and gloves, pulled out my wallet and credit card, then got off the bike. Anyone see what's missing? Plunk.

Today I did a similar ride, 4 hours on country roads, got back into the city and pulled under a bridge for a smoke. I think it took me 5 minutes to get the bike started back up because of the combination kill switch, kick stand, neutral. I was completely brain dead. This is a common startup hiccup, 2 seconds maybe, but 5 minutes? Duh.  Cheesy

Am I alone on this or you guys experience it too?

Plus, I need to do the seat mod. My arse, I can't feel my arse...

IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Re: Stupid Human Tricks after a Long Ride
Reply #1 - 08/05/09 at 13:32:53

darn 4 hours, how big is your tank?  

I haven't been riding enough to comment on the long trip runs, but I get tricked by the kick stand/first gear once a week at least.  

I too need a better seat, or at least the seat mod.  A 40 minute trip last night and my tail bone was killing me.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 08/05/09 at 13:37:49

Well, I have to admit the most embarrassing thing I've done was forget to put on my helmet (helmets mandatory in NJ). Took me, oh I don't know, maybe 5-10 miles on the highway, another 5 on local roads until I stopped at a light and went to check my hair tie. It took me that long to notice that I didn't have a helmet on my head. Luckily, it was still strapped to the lock although a bit beat up. I was wondering why that guy on the touring bike sitting at a light was looking at me kind of funny as I rode by.

Lesson learned; don't use the bike's helmet lock while working and riding from job to job all over the county, and, most importantly, focus on riding first, not getting to the next job.

FSO
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/05/09 at 13:39:42

I rode for an hour on yesterday's tank then stopped in West Jeff for a fill up. I guess I should say the ride was four hours total, it does take a little bit to get out of the city limits. Columbus seem a lot smaller these days since I got this thing though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/05/09 at 14:16:38

1st thing that has to be watched for in these summer months is dehydration.  And there's also boredom from riding at 25 mph for 4 hours.  Put a grin on man, do 75, stop every hour to relax your grin muscles, fill up, pee and get a drink.  Yeeehaaa!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 08/05/09 at 15:36:29

And if your seat is uncomfortable, fix your seat.Many ways of going about that ....do a search on seats and you'll find plenty of posts.Maybe Seat Mod or Seat fix,etc.

I think a painful/uncomfortable seat wears you out Sad

Plus the heat! 2 bad combinations Smiley

I bought a nice/decent drink holder for a bicycle...was going to modify it to fit my handlebars but I think it might fit without modifying Undecided
If I can ever find the darn right tool ,around the house, to get it apart,for attachment... Roll Eyes

That's my main problem....no tool organization Cheesy

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 08/05/09 at 15:48:54

I too was having serious tailbone pain on any rider over about an hour.  Serowbot had a simple, and very effective fix. (I should have Serowbot post some pictures and an explanation.) I simply pulled back the seat cover a little, took a pair of tin snips, and cut a "V" out of the seat pan where my tailbone rides.  I didn't alter the foam, or anything else, and the seat looks totally stock, but my tailbone no longer aches when I ride. (Now the rest of my but is a different matter, and yes, I have the front of the seat raised about an inch and a half.)

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/05/09 at 16:39:27

Brain fade from time concentrating, heat, dehydration.  Very common.  Gets worse with age.  Friend of mine crashed his car - his limit is about 45 minutes in summer races, then he can tell he loses the edge.

I'm figuring about 45 minutes tops for rest breaks and brain check.  Take helmet off, make sure I'm really at the top of my game.  

In bicycling, I've seen real bloppers first turn after topping a hill.  All that heat and so little wind.  Same effect happens with motorcycling, especially in the summer.  I can tell, my former pro rider brother in law mentions it, etc.  

Brain fade.  

So far I'm OK, but I talk to myself lots.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 08/05/09 at 16:59:35

You aren't alone. After an hour or more riding I stop and I'm feeling pretty punched. I've forgotten the kickstand a couple of times but fortunately caught the bike before it fell.  Shocked

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/05/09 at 17:08:27

gerald.hughes wrote on 08/05/09 at 15:48:54:
I too was having serious tailbone pain on any rider over about an hour.  Serowbot had a simple, and very effective fix. (I should have Serowbot post some pictures and an explanation.) I simply pulled back the seat cover a little, took a pair of tin snips, and cut a "V" out of the seat pan where my tailbone rides.  I didn't alter the foam, or anything else, and the seat looks totally stock, but my tailbone no longer aches when I ride. (Now the rest of my but is a different matter, and yes, I have the front of the seat raised about an inch and a half.)  

Could you have cut that from the bottom side without pulling back the seat cover

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 08/05/09 at 17:33:03

Dont forget to eat something...some type of real food.

The brain needs fuel also Smiley

I stopped at a cute little cafe while out on a ride with friends one day.All they wanted was dessert.
I hadnt eaten all day.I ate the dessert and thought I'd pass out...LOL.

It was a huge piece of hummingbird cake...and if you dont know what that is...well..
Its just mostly sugar  Roll Eyes  ...but awesome!

« Last Edit: 08/05/09 at 20:58:26 by FreeSpirit »  

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/05/09 at 18:08:58

I get set just as for a bicycle ride.  A couple of water bottles with my usual mix in them, and some snacks.  

The fluid is very important.  One thing I notice on the moto is that I can't really monitor my sweat loss very easily.  Seems to be surprisingly high in warm weather.  Chugging a bunch of fluid every once and a while isn't nearly as effective as a steady intake.

The more I look at motorcycling, the closer it looks to bicycling in mental and general physiological demands.  Except cornering is easier on a motorcycle.  And my bicycle is much higher performance.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #12 - 08/05/09 at 19:57:08

Raising the seat up one to two inches helps a lot, just finished that mod.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #13 - 08/06/09 at 03:25:53

David Levi wrote on 08/05/09 at 13:29:03:
I pulled up to get gas station, turned off the bike, took off my helmet and gloves, pulled out my wallet and credit card, then got off the bike. Anyone see what's missing? Plunk.

Thanks, David! Wink

Man...I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done this! Grin

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #14 - 08/06/09 at 08:50:58

can't say i ever dumped it at a gas station, but then again, i don't get off my bike at gas stations.

just pull up nice and close like to the pump and do all the work from there.

I do catch myself riding on auto-pilot early in the morning on my way to work. suddenly catching myself not paying attention to a turn, or potholes, or cagers, but especially not paying attention to speedlimits....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stupid Human Tricks after a Long Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.