Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
my first two-wheeled mechanical adventure... (Read 222 times)
PTRider

Re: my first two-wheeled mechanical adventure...
Reply #15 - 08/07/09 at 16:55:10

Battery...only add acid if you spill some out.  If it has places to check the electrolyte level, add distilled water up to the minimum mark, fully charge, add to the max mark.  Charge these little batteries at a max of 2 amps, and trickle charge if needed for long term storage with an automatic charger in the 0.75 amp to 1.33 amp range (or a 1-amp manual charger for one day a month).

Oil...Diesel engine oil is fine, but for very hot summer climates I prefer a 20W-50 motorcycle oil or somethingW-50 synthetic motorcycle engine oil, or 20W-50 car oil IF the data sheet says it's OK for wet clutch motorcycles.  Never, ever use Castrol Syntec...the only oil my mechanic can count on to make the clutch slip.

If there is rust in the gas tank, motorcycle shops sell 2-part kits with a cleaner and a coating.  Be sure to clean any rust flakes from the screen on the petcock.

Be sure the tires are aired up to at least the minimum shown on the sticker on the bike.  The date the tires were made is the last four digits of the DOT number...the week & year of manufacture.  If they're old (5 years or more) or showing signs of cracking, replace the tires and tubes.  A new rear tube with a 90° bend in the valve stem makes it easier to check the air.

Hiflofiltro makes very good oil & air filters at about 1/3 to 1/2 the Suzuki price...buy at any non-Suzuki shop--give them time for a special order for you.  I've read that Hiflofiltro makes the motorcycle oil filters for K&N.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my first two-wheeled mechanical adventure...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.