Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5th gear or neutral? lol (Read 103 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
5th gear or neutral? lol
08/03/09 at 12:44:54

i know i've seen it before but can't find it. what was the conclusion for sometimes going into neutral instead of 5th?

and if it does do it i pull the clutch in and shift it up firmer and it's fine. is the tranny just finicky? i also can't find first sometimes unless i roll it forward a couple of feet. normal right?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: 5th gear or neutral? lol
Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 12:48:56

I have the same thing, if you slowly let the clutch out while pulling up on the shifter it will pop right in every time.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/03/09 at 12:53:58

Rocco wrote on 08/03/09 at 12:44:54:
i also can't find first sometimes unless i roll it forward a couple of feet. normal right?

You don't have to roll,.... Just release the clutch lever and then pull it in again...
Works...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 14:38:47

I have the same issues.  for first- yeah, just release clutch and pull again.      for 5th- keep pulling up on the shifter with your toes as you release the clutch until it pops into gear.  i keep pulling up for any gear besides first (obviously!).  After a few rides, becomes second nature.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/03/09 at 15:02:23

eanon wrote on 08/03/09 at 14:38:47:
I have the same issues.  for first- yeah, just release clutch and pull again.      for 5th- keep pulling up on the shifter with your toes as you release the clutch until it pops into gear.  i keep pulling up for any gear besides first (obviously!).  After a few rides, becomes second nature.

Same thang I do.  Both up and down, apply a little force in the desired direction, pull in clutch and then let it out.  How much force? just enough to get the job done.  Once you get the hang of it, clutchless shifting becomes a breeze, just chop the throttle just like when you use a clutch and it will shift up with the same toe pressure.  Start with 4th to 5th, you don't even have to chop the throttle when crusin' at a steady speed on level ground.  up shifting is easy, haven't figured out down yet.  And down shifting that way eliminates the grumble pop so I use the clutch mostly   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 08/03/09 at 19:58:03

I've never experienced neutral between 4th & 5th.  I do sometimes upshift without enough force and it pops out of second into neutral.  If I use enough toe pressure it never happens.

To shift quickly and smoothly, try this.  With upward toe pressure, pull in on the clutch partway as you roll off the throttle part way.  You'll get smoother shifts just about as fast as if you don't use any clutch and don't get the throttle just right.  

My mechanic says to never downshift without the clutch except in the winter when he needs the work.  Try rolling off the throttle, then declutching and blipping the throttle open at the same time as you downshift.  That usually results is smooth, quick downshifts.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/04/09 at 08:35:35

ok good deal! as long as it isn't a problem! i was worried for a minute!

and btw the dude @ my job with the shadow 750(and windshield for in town riding lol) said that he spent all day makin his shine like a mirror where i just wipe the sap off from the pine tree out back lol another one of our co-workers replied "you're such a f#g, you're bike is tootsie pop orange"

i almost spit out my drink! the flat black crowd is everywhere!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5th gear or neutral? lol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.