Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My chopper is complete and I rode it. (Read 317 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

My chopper is complete and I rode it.
08/03/09 at 09:44:48

OK I raked the thing at the triple trees by 9 degrees. Then the front end I used was a KX250 84 - almost all KX though I got a dr350 wheel ... but I digress. ... It soon will be all KX that's what is important ...
Anyway, the brake rotor I used was a GS500 rear machined a wee bit and drilled and welded etc. It has a few blemishes ... so I need to redo it. And get it perfectly flat ... and I digress again

My wheel is grossly out of balance, really bent and out of center too ... bouncy and wobbly ... a lot ... and ...

So after all that the savage rolled with a 12 inch longer, 9 degrees extra front end yesterday ... and it really wants to have the wheel flop over.
Is that how a chopper normally feels ...  Shocked ...
For now, I am working on having the flaulty items addressed and I'll get back on the bike soon ... post pics and a ride report ...
But at low speeds the thing just wants to turn turn turn ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: My chopper is complete and I rode it.
Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 10:03:16

When I first rode the FireLizard after putting on the girder front end, I had the same sensation of it wanting to flop over. But I get the feeling that yours is a more pronounced sensation.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #2 - 08/03/09 at 10:04:13

We're all about pics 'round here. Smiley pics!

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 10:28:43

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 08/03/09 at 10:03:16:
When I first rode the FireLizard after putting on the girder front end, I had the same sensation of it wanting to flop over. But I get the feeling that yours is a more pronounced sensation.

Girders have that leading arm for the axle to run through right ...
So does this KX one I put on ... I suspect it wants to turn at low speeds, but will really hold the line and want to run straight @ high speeds. that leading axle tends to make it quicker steering if I recall.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 08/03/09 at 10:30:54

I really want to see what this looks like.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/03/09 at 10:43:48

I may have the dreaded "trail is negative" problem though ... looking through the stem @ rest, I see a spot just behind the contact patch.
I should be looking at somehting just forward of the patch right ?
I may be able to flip the legs and direction of the offset axle and get it to be ahead.
The thing though is, with my weight on the thing and as the suspension is right now, the bike will compress enough to let the stem's center line be ahead of the contact patch.

I have to check that, but I still ahve that 1 option, run the left leg on the right and flip the lower around so the brake caliper carrier is in front. Of course you run the whole wheel backwards with the disk on the right etc ... make sure direction of tread etc is right.

And oh yea I picked the worst freaking bike to try this idiotic idea on ... The factory equipped drag bar bike of 86-88 has the shortest cables and wires on the planet ... so I am stuck with the darn 28 inch bar spread ... so I cant even fit 36 in wide ass broomsticks on it and muscle the darn thing out of trouble.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 08/03/09 at 10:45:23

most choppers have flop in the front end at low speeds, and like you experienced straightens out as you speed up. where are the pics? Cool

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 08/03/09 at 10:49:33

I used to ride a chopper bicycle when I was a kid, so I was expecting the low speed flop and compensated for it in my riding style.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 08/03/09 at 10:51:54

I agree the worst is when you are barely moving. After that it all seems to smooth out.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 08/03/09 at 10:58:39

srinath wrote on 08/03/09 at 10:28:43:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 08/03/09 at 10:03:16:

Girders have that leading arm for the axle to run through right ...
So does this KX one I put on ... I suspect it wants to turn at low speeds, but will really hold the line and want to run straight @ high speeds. that leading axle tends to make it quicker steering if I recall.
Cool.
Srinath.

I think you may confusing a standard springer with a girder.

Springer

Girder

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 08/03/09 at 11:14:28

Yes I am Yonuh ... anyway yours in that case will be the springer ...
I am not too good at that ... but I do know jap bikes of the 80's and I decided to make something to my strengths.
I should put pics up tonight ... sorry.
Also I would add this ... just from visual and side stand compatibility issues, a 12 inch longer fork sorta requires a 12 degree rake ... but the dreaded trail going negative ... it will make it worse ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 08/03/09 at 11:57:00

srinath wrote on 08/03/09 at 11:14:28:
Yes I am Yonuh ... anyway yours in that case will be the springer ...
I am not too good at that ... but I do know jap bikes of the 80's and I decided to make something to my strengths.
I should put pics up tonight ... sorry.
Also I would add this ... just from visual and side stand compatibility issues, a 12 inch longer fork sorta requires a 12 degree rake ... but the dreaded trail going negative ... it will make it worse ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Actually, mine IS the girder.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/03/09 at 12:09:26

So trail will have to be positive - AKA the line through the stem should be in front of the contact patch with the tire ... but the smaller that number is the quicker it will steer ? is that what it is.
Because the dirt bikes ... without fail every one of them has the axle go in front of the legs. There is no way they will want it there to extend the wheel base by that 1 inch ... they want as short as possible. The rake is pretty steep, but by the time you cover the length of the legs it has added up to a substantial amount. Sin of 25 degrees lets say X the 24-25 inch wheel diameter will be a whopping 8-9 inches. The steering offset is a pityful 1 inch if that, and the axle being 1.5 to 2 inches forward of the leg will let the trail drop into the 4 inch range.
In my case I suspect the leading axle is adding to my problem.
I've pushed the wheel forward to the tune of 9 degrees by raking it. That added to the 2-2.5 inch forward offset will make its trail go negative. I am near sure I need to get back my trail into the +ve territory even if its very small.

But ... man it is gonna look ghetto.

I already have a GS500 forkbrace gonna be drilled and holding the headlight on the upper triple. Yeow ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 08/04/09 at 05:12:08

I saw Srinath's chopper on Sunday, but I still don't understand all the geometry and trigonometry and algebraic calculus you guys are speaking!  It does look ghetto, though! Smiley

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 08/04/09 at 07:46:40

Its not done yet guys ... and it will be ghetto ... but only where I have put the ghetto ... it can look non ghetto. I still need to finish mill and do a lot of things to its front end. I barely have it on there for functionality. And it failed that test even.

My goal where I can is to make it look factory, ugly and rusty yes, but factory ... I mean I fit a 85 KX250 fork ... plenty of rust in the upper area. However it should look like it all came from a factory ... in 1985 ... but factory none the less. The side stand should work, the engine needs to be vertical, the triples and the forks etc all should work right, and I dont care it being dirty/rusty. Anyway pics comming soon.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My chopper is complete and I rode it.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.