Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
main jet testing (Read 97 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
main jet testing
08/01/09 at 09:29:42

I understand that jetting is tied to throttle position not rpm, but there has to be enough vacuum on the diaphragm to open up the needle/piston all the way.

So how fast (hard to gauge rpms with no tach) do you need to be going to actually isolate the main jet?

The reason I asked is because I'm screwing around and reduced my main jet to 145. I noticed that above 3/4 throttle the response was basically flat, but I couldn't tell if that was because the slide wasn't opening any further or if I had actually maxed out the main jet.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: main jet testing
Reply #1 - 08/01/09 at 10:34:35

Not sure exactly where vacuum drops to nothin',... Probably 3/4 throttle or so,... it might come up a little once your speed matches the throttle position.  But I'm mostly just guessin'...

Here's a way to test the main....
To test the main, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

PS,.. here's another jet diameter link...
http://suzuki.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=72965&st=0&gopid...

Here's an interesting throttle position chart I found... notice the overlap...  I believe it's for a Keihin, but the principle is the same...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/01/09 at 11:28:57

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/motorcycle_jet_kits_carburetion/index.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/find_carburetion_problems/index.html

I put a throttle position indicator on mine.  Didn't even need to test drive - obvious that the hunting and weakness ramped up from 1/8 to nearly 1/4 throttle, then went away completely.  Bumped the pilot jet up and it's a whole new machine, putters along strong at 1/8 throttle 2800 rpm cruise.  Nice.  Doesn't have that off-idle dull spot followed by surge into decent power.  Just a nice even pull up to 5500 rpm.  Really, now I don't dare open the throttle too fast in second.  

Have fun.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 08/01/09 at 13:41:58

Serowbot wrote on 08/01/09 at 10:34:35:
Here's a way to test the main....
To test the main, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

I've tried that with 145, 152.5, and 155. Never noticed a change in power.

So far I've ridden with (Dyna exhaust):
55 pilot (1 turn out) / full spacer / 155 main
55 pilot (1 turn out) / no spacer / 152.5 main
55 pilot (1 turn out) / half spacer / 152.5 main
55 pilot (7/8 turn out) / half spacer / 145 main

Full spacer left me a weird surging condition 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.
No spacer fixed that, but killed my mpg.
Half spacer leaves me with a weird surging condition 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, but only when the engine is cold.

I just finished installing a 150, so I'll let you know how that goes. Smiley

Update:
Well, I guess I never hit "Post". It's now a few hours later and I just got back from a test ride with:
55 pilot (1 turn out) / half spacer / 150 main

There's a difference between 3/4 throttle and WOT now. Not a huge one, but I can feel it.

I guess the next step is to retest 152.5?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 08/01/09 at 13:52:33

voldigicam wrote on 08/01/09 at 11:28:57:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/motorcycle_jet_kits_carburetion/index.html

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/find_carburetion_problems/index.html

I put a throttle position indicator on mine.  Didn't even need to test drive - obvious that the hunting and weakness ramped up from 1/8 to nearly 1/4 throttle, then went away completely.  Bumped the pilot jet up and it's a whole new machine, putters along strong at 1/8 throttle 2800 rpm cruise.  Nice.  Doesn't have that off-idle dull spot followed by surge into decent power.  Just a nice even pull up to 5500 rpm.  Really, now I don't dare open the throttle too fast in second.  

Have fun.

Thanks for the links. I've already got a throttle position indicator. Blue painters tape. Very classy.

The first article has some good tips. Thanks for the link.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/01/09 at 17:42:40

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/01/09 at 13:41:58:
Full spacer left me a weird surging condition 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.
No spacer fixed that, but killed my mpg.
Half spacer leaves me with a weird surging condition 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, but only when the engine is cold.

Now that I'm thinking more about it. I wonder if my pilot is a tad lean? I am getting backfires on throttle close...

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:17:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › main jet testing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.