Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tank shutter valve acting funny (Read 85 times)
BrusselsSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tank shutter valve acting funny
07/30/09 at 23:02:47

Hi all,
Something strange happened to my bike yesterday.
My accelerator cable broke the day before, si I bought a new one and put it on. I took off the seat and the tank, unhooking the electrics under the dial, the cable that goes into the gearbox and the 2 rubber tubes from the tank to the carb. After replacing the cable and putting everything back together (the tank was moved about, not really shaken but shaken enough to move whatever deposit or gunk there might have been at the bottom of the tank) anyway, after i put everything back on, I found out that the only way the bike will work is when the tank shutoff valve is on PRI (pointing towards the back of the bike). When the valve is on FUEL (downward) or RES (forward), the bike stops after half a mile or so, as if I was already in reserve even though I now have a full tank. Any idea? Did I put something back on wrong (I don't think so, it's a straightforward job, but I might have overlooked something) or did I just get gunk from the bottom of the tank into the carb?
Thanks
Pierre
1990 Savage
Brussels, Belgium

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Tank shutter valve acting funny
Reply #1 - 07/30/09 at 23:26:21

You mixed up the lines when you reconnected the carb.

1 line from the right side of the carb goes to the bottom of the shutter valve aka petcock.  This is the one that turns the fuel valve to on.

1 line goes from the rear of the petcock to the left side of the carb

2 lines from the top of the carb bowl are vents and just point up and stick into the frame.

WWW   IP Logged
BrusselsSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/30/09 at 23:38:43

Thanks, I will look at the lines when I pick her up from my garage this morning.
One of the rubber lines I undid is thin and is just plugged back on the carb, and the other one is much wider and is held on each end with clips. Do you think another line (on the right) might have come undone without my seeing it? Both lines I undid were on the left side of the carb, I didn't touch anything on the right side of the carb.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/31/09 at 00:15:55

There is one that is obviously larger than the others, that's the fuel line.
The vacuum line from the right side of the carb is small and you may have pulled it free without realizing it.
If you have a carbon canister on the bottom of the bike, there's another line on the right hand side to the rear.  This line is the smallest.

WWW   IP Logged
BrusselsSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/31/09 at 02:49:47

That was it, indeed! Thanks a lot for your insight.
The vacuum hose looked too short to reach all the way to the petcock, but it was a snug fit. I battled for a few minutes with my big hands in rubber gloves (on my way to work) but managed to make it fit. The other rubber line I had put in was indeed a breather line, which is now hanging somewhere under the seat, where it belongs.
Since I thought there was gunk in the carb, I sprayed a carb cleaner liberally into the air duct, so now, my carb should be much cleaner (at least it feels that way. The bike once again pulls like a freight train, I should have changed the accelerator cable a long time ago.

Anyhoo, thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Pierre
Brussels

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/31/09 at 06:14:02

I've discovered that even a slight hardening of the thin vacuum line will give enough of a vacuum leak to prevent full fuel flow.  I've replaced the vacuum line with a heat resistant fuel hose length and all is well.

Looks like a marginal design, putting relatively delicate vacuum line immediately adjacent to cooling fins.  My original line wasn't broken, just hardened and didn't seal perfectly, even with a micro clip.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/31/09 at 08:17:09

BrusselsSavage wrote on 07/31/09 at 02:49:47:
Anyhoo, thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Pierre
Brussels

My pleasure.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:30:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tank shutter valve acting funny

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!