Shocks (Read 157 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Shocks
07/30/09 at 12:33:54

So after riding the bike for about a week with the hardtail struts, I'm thinking I might actually prefer to put some shocks on it. My problem is, the previous owner did not include the original shocks in the box of goodies that I got with the bike. What specs do I need to look for when looking for shocks?  Huh Are other model take offs interchangeable with ours? (My bike is an 2005 S40)

If I go all out and upgrade to progressive shocks, what model, size, etc do I need to be contemplating? Since it is usually going to be just me riding on the bike (180#) are there any other considerations I should be making?

Thanks in advance once again.

If/when I decide to upgrade/restore the shocks I will probably be willing to sell the struts if anyone is interested.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shocks
Reply #1 - 07/30/09 at 13:09:58

sorry i can't answer your question, but i have one of my own for you.  you have your belt gaurd off.. is it safe for a passenger to ride like that?  i'd love to remove mine, but don't want my girlfriends' pants getting caught or anything..

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/30/09 at 13:19:14

progressive 412-4233c should work good for you I have them there a lot better than stock shocks there 11 inches instead of 10 1/2 inch stock shocks. I weight 160 and use the middle preload.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 07/30/09 at 13:33:28

You might check with Serowbot.  He put the stock shocks off of my Suzuki 800 Intruder on to his Savage, and he loves them.  I am sure that they are way cheaper than the Progressives.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/30/09 at 13:40:45

The progressives that I'm seeing on ebay are $200+ which is more that I wanted to spend. I'm thinking I will probably try and pickup some takeoff from either a Savage or maybe an Intruder (provided they fit). I just am trying to figure out what other models can be used interchangeably.

So far it looks like an Intruder 800 would work, any others?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 07/30/09 at 13:43:07

twdy wrote on 07/30/09 at 13:09:58:
sorry i can't answer your question, but i have one of my own for you.  you have your belt gaurd off.. is it safe for a passenger to ride like that?  i'd love to remove mine, but don't want my girlfriends' pants getting caught or anything..

My wife doesn't really show any interest in wanting to ride with me yet  Wink (especially with the hardtail ride) but my 11yr old and 6yr old daughters want to ride, but I haven't let them since the spikes go right across their legs.  Sad

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/30/09 at 13:47:40

oh i see.. well good luck getting the wife to ride!  once she is on once she will love it.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 07/30/09 at 14:05:51

We don't have the belt guard on our bike and my Wife's pants or shoes or what not has never had a problem.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/30/09 at 14:38:20

i just tried removing mine but the heads on some of the screws are so soft that my driver will eat them.. i'm afraid to kill these screws

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 07/30/09 at 14:42:54

twdy wrote on 07/30/09 at 14:38:20:
i just tried removing mine but the heads on some of the screws are so soft that my driver will eat them.. i'm afraid to kill these screws

Remember that the screws on these bikes are not standard Phillips, they are JIS. You really need a set of JIS screwdrivers to take them off properly, or some people on this forum have ground off the pointy tip of the phillips to make it work better. Just my $.02

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/30/09 at 14:53:57

thanks EJID.  i really need to get those, and a metric socket set

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 07/30/09 at 18:48:56

twdy wrote on 07/30/09 at 14:53:57:
thanks EJID.  i really need to get those, and a metric socket set

... you've been working on this bike without a metric socket set?

I bought this bike and within a week bought my expanded-super-awesome-in-saddle-bag-tool-kit, complete with a mini socket set, allens, wrenches, and a handful of philips head drivers. real handy in a pinch. Keep a couple a misc screws nuts and bolts in there too. had one of my turn signals almost fall off after the screw vibrated clean out.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/31/09 at 08:44:56

I bought a set of progressives, 412-4005 for about $140.
I'm 240# and these are set as stiff as they'll go.
For you, they may be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #13 - 07/31/09 at 11:36:21

I have a set of used but in good condition stock shocks. I just took them off and did pretty much what you have in the picture. If you want them just pm me and we can talk about a price.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.