serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Coincidence?
07/30/09 at 09:13:39

After 69,000 miles on my 2000 Savage, I FINALLY decided to take the plunge and do the white spacer mod.  I filed it down to 2/3.  Putting the needle/spring/slide back together, and finally succeeding, I thought "I am now qualified to do microsurgery!" Grin

I immediately noticed improved performance and greatly increased mpgs (from 50 before to 60 after).  However, soon after I started to notice it tried to stall when decelerating from 55+ when stopping or turning, and mpg dropped to about 47.  Tracked it down to the infamous petcock issue.  Keep in mind I am certain that this was the original petcock that came on the bike.  

Has anyone else had this "coincidence" - modifying the white spacer and then having a failed petcock?  Is there any logical explanation from any of our mechanical geniuses on this site?  Just wondering Undecided

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Coincidence?
Reply #1 - 07/30/09 at 09:15:58

Slightly more fuel and petcock cant handle ?? may just be un related coinkidink. But logically its a fringe possibility.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/30/09 at 09:27:06

And yes increased mileage is due to 2-3 things ...
1. You drive by feel, and a engine that gets the right amount of fuel will be feeling more powerful so you're shifting into 4th sooner.
2. Your economy depends on throttle position, and a bike that runs right will be able to run a higher rpm and hence hogher speed for a given throttle position.
3. Karma - aka a cooler running motor which will reward you with increased life, also has less cylinder wall friction ... and all the parts are cooled by intake charge ... and they run cooler.

Yes karma is the best of the reasons.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/30/09 at 10:46:13

I would say 69000 miles was pretty good life.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/30/09 at 11:15:50

69K!... That's great!....
Have you had any issues with the cam chain?...

PS,.. my guess is just coincidence,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/30/09 at 11:19:34

congrats on the 70k, white spacer and petcock badges of merit.

No, I don't think there's a relationship between the 2.
More likely there's a relationship between the petcock and the number of miles dues the amount of ethanol that's been thru it.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 07/30/09 at 11:31:23

Serowbot wrote on 07/30/09 at 11:15:50:
69K!... That's great!....
Have you had any issues with the cam chain?

Serowbot, I put 51,000 miles on the original motor with never a thought about the cam chain.  Decided to rebuild top end, still didn't know about the cam chain adjuster issue, never could get it to run right.  Probably had something to do with the adjuster.  Also, Oldfeller is going through my old engine and found that, in some messing with the clutch, I incorrectly reassembled the oil pump drive gear.  The last <1,000 of the "rebuilt" engine's short life was lived without the right lubrication. :'(   I was fortunate to find a salvage engine with 2,092 miles from a dismantler.  I have now put about 18,000 on it.  A new cam chain and adjuster are in my immediate future.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 07/30/09 at 11:33:17

verslagen1 wrote on 07/30/09 at 11:19:34:
congrats on the 70k, white spacer and petcock badges of merit.

We get MERIT BADGES here???!!!!  COOL!!!!   I never made it past Tenderfoot!

And with this post, this one right here, I have just become a FULL MEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a great day!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/30/09 at 11:38:01

Thanks for the reply,.... 51k, and probably better if not for the oil issue is still great.
I'm at 21k now,... and no other bike interests me, so I want this baby to go forever.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:31:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Coincidence?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.