Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock carb, some rejet, am I thinking right? (Read 65 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stock carb, some rejet, am I thinking right?
07/28/09 at 08:04:09

52.5 w/holes, 1 3/4 turns, 150.

With stock exhaust, fine coming up from idle, response seems to flatten a bit at around 2800 to 3300 rpm, then goes nicely above 4000 rpm. Not fabulous, but I suspect the stock exhaust (soon to go away) isn't helping out.  

I am interpreting this as having a good idle mix, a very slightly lean pilot, and a good main.  Coming off idle I get the power and as the pilot takes more and more of the load, the mix leans just a little too much, then with more air the main starts to pull in and gives me a decent mix.

Is this correct thinking?  

If so, I may ask my dad if he's ever going to use his watchmaker's reamers.  They're very very precision.  I can squeek the pilot opening a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit wider with the reamer.  Think normal machinist's reamer on a very tiny and very long taper.  

I'm pretty sure this will work.  I see people looking for that 53.5 jet.  No trouble to make one.  We used to do this type of thing all the time in cars.  I am one of the few with a real SK carb wrench in my toolbox!  

Makes me wonder about altitude.  I used to have to stop and adjust my Fiat at 3000 ft or it would become unhappy.  

Just making sure my thoughts are right.  Maybe I could make 53.5 equivalent jets for folks.  All it takes is having the two adjacent sizes available, running a reamer into each, and then reaming smaller sizes to 1/2 way in between.  The jeweler's reamers cut very clean!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Stock carb, some rejet, am I thinking right?
Reply #1 - 07/28/09 at 08:27:04

2800-3300 rpm - how are you measuring that. Also jetting is related to throttle position not to rpm. So 2800-3300 under full load, say 4/5th gear would be needle.
Pilots control 0-1/8th throttle, so its the take off range more than anything else.

Then, flat power = rich more than lean. Lean is if its surging in that rpm or if it shows a lean misfire or if it sounds dry ...

In your case first I'd check the float, lower it if its high, and if not I think its rich as it starts on the needle. Lower the needle a shade ...

However if you really think its lean, raise the float level and lift the needle.

Pilot is 0-1/8th throttle ... so I doubt it needs to be drilled out.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 07/28/09 at 09:49:39

Sounds to me like you need to lose some of the white spacer on the needle.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/28/09 at 11:01:20

"2800-3300 rpm - how are you measuring that."

tach.

"Also jetting is related to throttle position not to rpm. So 2800-3300 under full load, say 4/5th gear would be needle."

I was looking at cruising on level ground, so not too much throttle really.

"Pilots control 0-1/8th throttle, so its the take off range more than anything else."

OK, so this is likely the start of the main.

"Then, flat power = rich more than lean. Lean is if its surging in that rpm or if it shows a lean misfire or if it sounds dry ..."

In your case first I'd check the float, lower it if its high, and if not I think its rich as it starts on the needle. Lower the needle a shade ..."

Float is good - in the middle of the acceptable range.  I can easily lower the needle a hair.  I have about 1/2 of white spacer thickness, can drop it to about 1/3, see what happens.  If it gets worse, then I know I'm going the wrong way.

Good thoughts.  Certainly am rusty in this thinking.  

Thanks!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock carb, some rejet, am I thinking right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.