Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder head covers (Read 448 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Cylinder head covers
Reply #15 - 07/29/09 at 20:42:45

Removing the covers gives the engine an old school look.  Suzukis are easy to ID with their chrome head covers on, from a distance.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #16 - 07/30/09 at 05:13:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/29/09 at 20:01:01:
Digger, the bolt we are talking about is to the left of #13, but it is the forward most bolt hole above #8.  It is inserted from the underside of the head cover and is loose when the head cover is installed and remains that way untill the chrome head cover is in place.
This bolt only holds the chrome head cover in place.

Yeah, Digger, what he said!  Cool

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/30/09 at 15:55:37

I am going to pull the !@#$(% things off.  All I want to do is check the #$#%* sparkplug to see how the mix is working.  Who thought up the $%$*%& things, anyway!!!!  I imagine real mochanics have priceless things to say about them, too.  

Just ranting.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #18 - 07/30/09 at 17:00:13

Engineers had a good laugh when they designed these chrome covers

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #19 - 07/30/09 at 18:45:22

... I'm an engineer...

Funny how you can take any item found in everyday life that is hard to use and kind of think that some engineer must have been frustrated as hell when he (or she, though you don't see many female engineers) designed the thing.

I'm guessing some engineer designed the engine, then some jerk-off industrial designer said he had to add a cover to make it look a certain way, so the engineer made it a pain in the ass.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #20 - 07/30/09 at 20:18:37

I stand corrected!

Darn Industrial Designer must have has a good laugh Tongue

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 07/30/09 at 20:46:46

verslagen1 wrote on 07/29/09 at 20:01:01:
Digger, the bolt we are talking about is to the left of #13, but it is the forward most bolt hole above #8.  It is inserted from the underside of the head cover and is loose when the head cover is installed and remains that way untill the chrome head cover is in place.
This bolt only holds the chrome head cover in place.

Ver,

We may be talking about different bolts.  I'm talking about this one:

The bolt shown is a bolt that serves double-duty as a head cover bolt AND a decorative chrome head cover bolt.  The FSM calls for it to be torqued the same as the rest of the numerous head cover bolts.

If you look closely, you can see that this bolt is situated right at the area where sealant is applied when replacing the head cover.  You can clearly see that the bolt passes through a hole in the edge of the head cover.

Of the four bolts that hold on the two decorative chrome head covers, the bolt in question is the only one that actually serves as a head cover bolt.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/30/09 at 22:20:16

Nope, that's it.  Terrible waste of thread.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 07/31/09 at 20:27:45

verslagen1 wrote on 07/30/09 at 22:20:16:
Nope, that's it.  Terrible waste of thread.

Well, if you remove it altogether, you'll be missing one of your head cover bolts....and possibly be flirting with an oil leak.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/02/09 at 17:11:24

The only functional thing is that the left one, Portside, helps keep dirt and debris from getting in the deep well of the spark plug.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #25 - 08/03/09 at 06:58:01

well, both chrome covers are off. BurnPgh graciously helped me remove my tank and rejet my carb, during which we removed the chrome head covers.

I'm inclined to say digger is right on this one. Burn and I noticed several subtle differences between his '95 and my '02, one of them is that his cylinder head is different from mine.

The cover will stay off for the time being, although it leaves with that bolt rattling around there... no way to get it out without cutting it apart... now way to easily get it out that is.

--
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #26 - 08/03/09 at 20:07:37

spacepirates wrote on 08/03/09 at 06:58:01:
....The cover will stay off for the time being, although it leaves with that bolt rattling around there... no way to get it out without cutting it apart... now way to easily get it out that is.

Space,

Maybe you could find yourself a section of small diameter steel tube or pipe and cut it to the correct size to "replace" the decorative head cover.

It would look strange, but you'd be able to torque the nut down and perhaps prevent an oil leak in that area.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #27 - 08/03/09 at 20:56:50

Shoot, why not just cut the bolt off at the head with a dremel tool, and replace it with a shorter one with the nut on the bottom?  That's what I'd do if I removed the whole cover.

I got in there to do a valve adjustment last weekend and decided not to remove the covers.  The bolt does put some downforce on the (important) head cover through the decorative cover.

Instead I did the plug door mod, replacing the unimportant bolt with a rounded stub.  But it doesn't seem like you'd be able to move the "door" much at all with the other bolt at its original torque.  So I left it as a half-mod.  The door will open after the front bolt is loosened a tad, and doesn't move at all with the bolt re-tightened.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #28 - 08/03/09 at 21:18:53

i don't have a dremel tool, and even if i did i think it would be wicked hard to cut off that bolt... it is maybe 3/4 of an inch into the fins.

I will try the steel tube idea... maybe a short section of 1/2 pipe with a washer and nut up top would do the trick.

now, the leak isn't bad of course, and you can really only tell because my bike is dirty as sin (i ride in the rain too much...), but it is there.

anyone know if the actual cylinder head has changed much between say a '95 and an '02? BurnPgh had his bike over here to help me with my carb, and his didn't have a spark plug access or another random hole drilled in it. could it be that in an older savage that bolt isn't needed to actually hold the head cover on?

--
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder head covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.