Leaky Gas Cap (Read 117 times)
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Leaky Gas Cap
07/27/09 at 20:11:45

Hi, I've noticed that after filling the tank it will leak when cornering or sharp curves.  Does this happen to anyone else and how can it be stopped?  I have already started standing the bike up while fueling so it reaches full sooner but it still leaks some.  Has anyone seen a fuel cap with a fuel gauge in it?

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Leaky Gas Cap
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 20:43:54

Tony,

On mine (see signature), I fill my tank until the fuel level just barely touches the sleeve.  I then gently move the bike a bit from side to side to "burp" out any air bubbles in the tank.

I then avoid any abrupt inputs for the first few blocks.  After that, I'm good to go.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/28/09 at 15:28:37

Just about what I've determined I need to do, it's sort of heart breaking since I never seem to get 2 gallons in there and used.  I'm thinking of putting a tank off the m90 on there so I can hold 4.8 gallons and go further on one tank.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #3 - 08/10/09 at 06:07:02

I have similar issues after I fill up the tank. I think the only fix it to stop trying to put so much gas in it. I just hate to waste any space in a tank that is so small.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #4 - 08/12/09 at 16:43:00

There is a good article on here somewhere about adding a layer of cork to the factory seal.

Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 08/12/09 at 16:50:30

After my gas cap sprang a leak (ruining a brand new decal, Grrr!!  Angry )  I went to the plumbing shop with the cracked, stock gasket and looked for something that would match up.  I found a flanged 1 1/4" drain gasket that has the perfect inner and outer diameters, and is half-again thicker than the OEM gasket.  All i had to do was cut off the flange and buff the rest of the gasket with a sander.  The gas cap takes a little more force before it clicks into place, and that's exactly what I wanted.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/12/09 at 21:28:39

i noticed the other day that i felt little droplets hitting me but it wasn't raining and there was nothing in front of me. i had just filled it up to the max and i think that was the problem.

how many miles per tank am i supposed to be getting? i fill up around every 80 just because.

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 08/13/09 at 12:30:13

On my first long ride out I did about 60 miles on whatever was in there.

I slowed down to turn back around and she sputtered and wouldn't start.

Open the tank and she look about empty!

That being my first ride I was thinking crap....but then...ahhh, the reserve. Found a gas station about a mile and half away.

When I filled up she took 2.211 gallons. Previous owners said she should get 100-120 per tank. (my ride is listed in sig)

My gas cap doesn't leak on it's own but if you lean her over to far it will seep though, but you really have lean it over...almost lay it down.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #8 - 08/13/09 at 13:15:08

100 miles per tank is pretty standard I think. I might take a look at that drain gasket idea. I hate smelling like gas all day because it got on my right leg after I filled up and took a right hand turn.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #9 - 08/14/09 at 11:15:27

You know what, we shouldn't have to leave the tank less than full or change riding habits for the first few miles after a fillup.  Angry  And this is apparently a common problem.

-- SO --

I went back to the plumbing shop and picked up a half dozen more of those gaskets.  I figure $5 ought to cover the cost of the gasket, sandpaper, x-acto blades and postage.  

I'm going to fab up some super-gaskets this evening and post an ad in the marketplace.  What do you think? 5 bucks for no more gas on your leg?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaky Gas Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.