Send Topic Print
Too much oil? (Read 151 times)
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Too much oil?
07/27/09 at 17:38:25

Thanks to Savage_Greg's instructions, I did my first oil change today. One small question, I reused the filter so I only added about 1800 ml. When I look at the level in the window, it looks a little high however. It's bove the safe zone but I can see a gap between the oil level and the top of the window. Will this be o.k.? Next time I'll add a bit at a time and check instead of the whole thing at once.
Thanks, Kim

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Too much oil?
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 18:21:42

It'll probably drop a little when you run it a bit... as long as you can see some air at the top of the window...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/27/09 at 18:39:21

I bought an 03 Savage in March with 1700 miles and changed the oil 3 weeks ago.  Before changing it I noticed the oil level had dropped to the add level so during the change I added a little more.  This time I haven't seen any drop in the level.  Is it normal for the bike to use oil in the first 4000 miles as it breaks in or should it be broken in before the 500 mile oil change?

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/27/09 at 19:01:15

It's normal for a big thumper to use a little oil if you ride highway speeds... and break-in could take 800 to 1200 miles,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 07/27/09 at 19:48:20

nhgader wrote on 07/27/09 at 17:38:25:
When I look at the level in the window, it looks a little high however. It's above the safe zone but I can see a gap between the oil level and the top of the window. Will this be o.k.?

Is the bike level when you check or on its sidestand?

If the bike is level, the oil is OK.  If the bike is on its sidestand and you can see the oil, you have too much in there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/28/09 at 01:31:41

My bike runs along fine for a while, hardly using any oil at all. Then, as the oil gets tired, it starts using it pretty quick. I dont even watch the odometer any more. It tells me when its time. The oil use per mile goes up. Since it has a slight leak at the clutch actuator in the side cover, it always uses a little, but after about 2500 miles, it starts needing oil after 100 miles or so. Then I dump it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 07/28/09 at 07:16:46

Justin, what kind of oil?

It sounds like the viscosity index improvers are getting sheared causing the loss of viscosity and oil consumption--and reduced engine protection until you get the oil renewed.  If you aren't using either a motorcycle oil or a HDEO (heavy duty engine oil), you might try switching.  The 15W-40 or synthetic 5W-40 dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oils (the HDEOs) work very well.  Shell Rotella-T is the favorite and tested in wet clutch motorcycles.  Other brands are equally good.  Or a 20W-50 or xW-50 motorcycle engine oil, or 20W-50 car oil unless they say not to use it in wet clutches (Mobil "racing" oil, for example).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/28/09 at 08:23:10

Im running Shell Rotella - T. Im happy with the oil. That its getting sheared is okay. Its cheap & its keeping spinning things apart, so, Ill just change it when its time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #8 - 07/28/09 at 12:26:15

Rotella-T and all the rest of that type...Chevron Delo 400, Conoco/Phillips/76 Guardol ECT (& Kendall Super-D XA), etc...will do a fine job.  In extreme heat I'd go up to a xW-50.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #9 - 07/28/09 at 15:01:47

Thanks for the info.  So the Savage tells you when to change the oil by using it at the last 1000 miles or so? LOL.  That is about when it started showing. Shocked

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
PTRider

Reply #10 - 07/28/09 at 16:42:52

No, that's his Savage.

IP Logged
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Reply #11 - 07/28/09 at 17:58:05

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at the oil when the bike is up off the stand so I'm glad it's o.k. I love having such a knowledgeable bunch of people to check with. Savage owners are awesome!  Kim

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #12 - 07/28/09 at 19:05:35

ROFL.  I get you.  Hopefully it was just still in the break in period on my bike, was timid about the oil and bought the Suzuki Brand oil.  It actually said hi performance and you should have seen the look I got when I told them I wanted the regular oil because it's not a hi performance bike. ROFL I laugh a lot

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.