Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any harm in running the muffler before carb adjust (Read 150 times)
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Any harm in running the muffler before carb adjust
07/27/09 at 14:24:09

Will I do any harm by running too lean by running the stock Harley muffler on my 07? I need to address my idle mixture screw issue, I need to order a new one. Wondering if it's ok to run the bike this way? Stock carb, filter and Harley muffler. No other mods. It pops when I let off the throttle. Throttle responce does seem a bit better and the sound is a little better than the phhht, phhhht, phhht noise that came out of the stock muffler. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Any harm in running the muffler before carb ad
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 14:50:04

running lean is running hot, running hot can discolor chrome.
Thats the risk, turning it blue.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/27/09 at 15:43:10

Running too lean will increase internal cylinder temps.   Valves and piston tops can glow red, shortening their lives as well as causing pre-ignition.  Pre-ignition can cause the piston to rattle in the cylinder, which can damage it's skirt. The stock Savage already runs lean for emission reasons, which is why people re-jet the carb.  

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #3 - 07/27/09 at 15:45:16

Thanks guys. I won't run it. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/27/09 at 22:13:23

gort and sevier are both right but depending how far/fast you intend to ride you may be okay. Not good...okay. Quick 10-15 minute jaunts should be fine if you're not trying to push it past 55 or so. If you just CANT wait, and im one of those people, I don't think you'd have a big problem going for a quick ride aside from bluing. It isnt good for the bike by any means but....I personally would do it. I get real obnoxious if I cant ride and even a few miles seems to keep me calm for the rest of the day. As an example...i rode 2k mi or so on new cast wheels...with the rear wheel significantly off center to the right. How significantly? Enough that Im embarassed to admit I didnt just fix it sooner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/28/09 at 01:22:51

Why do you need a new mixture screw?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #6 - 07/29/09 at 14:01:41

im running mine with a new muffler ive richened the screw a bit more but need a pilot jet upgrade i think

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 07/29/09 at 14:11:25

Maybe I am a little late, but I usually am.  I changed my muffler to a dyna take off and did not need to rejet or anything.  I had already done the spacer mod before and I just adjusted the mixture screw a little.  Almost all of my popping and snapping went away.  I see that you screw is, well, screwed.  This may or may not help.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #8 - 07/29/09 at 15:46:26

Thanks guys. Yea, my screw is screwd.  Grin I did take it out yesterday as I will not be able to for about a week or so at the earliest. It is running a bit leaner. I pulled the 'choke' out to the first notch for a bit and ran great. Didn't go too far, I had to try out the muffler. I like it, a little deeper without being annoying and non of the phffft, phffft, phffft of the stock muffler. Screw should be here Friday or Monday.

07 S40
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 07/30/09 at 00:34:00

4carbcorvair wrote on 07/29/09 at 15:46:26:
Thanks guys. Yea, my screw is screwd.  Grin I did take it out yesterday as I will not be able to for about a week or so at the earliest. It is running a bit leaner. I pulled the 'choke' out to the first notch for a bit and ran great. Didn't go too far, I had to try out the muffler. I like it, a little deeper without being annoying and non of the phffft, phffft, phffft of the stock muffler. Screw should be here Friday or Monday.

If you're only getting "phffft phffft", you're lucky.  Mine was whistling like a Volkswagon before I took it off. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:20:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any harm in running the muffler before carb adjust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.