Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dealer Services at 7,000 Miles? (Read 118 times)
polloloco83
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Dealer Services at 7,000 Miles?
07/27/09 at 10:22:35

I have a 96 Savage with just a bit over 7,000 miles.  I've been deployed for the past 15 months and my bike has been in storage all that time.  IIRC 7,000 miles is the recommended dealer services.  What all is done?  How much does is usually cost?  I am mechanically inclined, is this something that I would be able to do myself?  If so, is there a write-up?  I need to replace the notorious plug seal, I've got quite an oil leak.  I also have a blue exhaust which I've read is caused by running lean.  I'll be home by Labor Day weekend and I want to get my bike up and running as soon as possible upon redeployment.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Dealer Services at 7,000 Miles?
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 21:01:18

Pollo,

This bike is easy to work on.  You should be able to handle it.

Thanks for your service!

Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/28/09 at 00:52:20

Even a crazy chikkin can work on these things. Youll have a good time & save a load O $$$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
polloloco83
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/28/09 at 08:55:09

Thanks for the words of confidence.  Now my question is where can I find the directions?  In a service manual?

After I get the Savage up and running I'll be pulling the engine out of my Jeep and stroking it to a 4.7L straight-six.  Jeeps and bikes are a bad combination Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/28/09 at 09:45:43

Yea, get a manual. Then, the guys here will walk you thru if you cant get it from the book, but youve got to have the book.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 07/28/09 at 10:29:07

If you could have someone buy a Clymer for you before you get home, that would help. Just make sure it's for your year Savage. Not that there were many changes, but there were a few during the years.

The '87 Savage was my first bike with a belt drive. After I bought it and started riding it, I had belt chirp. Drove me crazy and I brought it to a shop. The owner said "That's the original belt and needs to be replaced." How much? "We can do it for around $350." Thank God I found this board and bought a Clymer. The belt just needed an adjustment, so I fixed it myself. Chirp gone.

Was also going to treat myself to a checkup and first oil change from the Suzi dealer. Price was $80 just for the oil change. Did it myself.

Clutch was slipping when opening throttle at highway speed. Told that to a forum member when I arrived at his house. Forum member suggested a cable adjustment might help. Adjusted cable, slip gone. A dealer probably would have said "Need's a clutch."

With tech info available here, the generosity of the people on this forum and a Clymer you'll be fine.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:18:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dealer Services at 7,000 Miles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.