Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Success! Wifey bought a S40! (Read 183 times)
redwolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Success! Wifey bought a S40!
07/27/09 at 09:12:56

Grin Her journey toward the Dark Side is nearly complete! ...(followed by sinister laugh!) Grin

My best friend of 23 years surprised me today...when she came home with her very ownS40!!!!!said she was tired of me having all the fun and  trying to look over my shoulder as we rode 2-up!  Roll Eyes Same color as mine, Black 07 with 6500 miles (does this mean I have 2 bikes to ride/ modify now Wink)

Now where is the phone book.... have to set her up for a MSF class....

Red

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Success! Wifey bought a S40!
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 09:19:26

No leave hers alone.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 07/27/09 at 09:27:01

Bill is right, leave her's alone, make her modify it herself. But yes, get her into the MSF class.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/27/09 at 09:31:35

If you have any back roads take her out there,So she gets used to the shifting and brakes, Let her get used to that before going a round corners,Then do small curves at first.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 07/27/09 at 09:35:00

Thats great!!! Once she gets confident on the bike, you guys will have a great time together.

Go slow, have lots of patience and enjoy showing her the ropes on riding.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 07/27/09 at 09:35:20

Also find an empty parking lot and have her practice some S turns and figure eights.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
redwolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/27/09 at 09:44:03

We ride with a "group" (gaggle??) of bikes here, all types of bikes( niece rides a Ninja) so I forsee at least 10 different people all clamoring to help her learn....I'm a motorcycle safety dude for the USAF so she DEFINITELY will be taking the MSF .....couldn't stand to see her hurt....I'll probably try to dress her up like  Ralphies little brother in " A Christmas Story!"

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/27/09 at 09:58:42

So far on here One girl broke a leg the other her arm in those MSF courses. I would call that learning the hard way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #8 - 07/27/09 at 10:19:21

Yes to the Motorcycle Sales Foundation's Basic Rider Course, and Experienced Rider Course next year.  The MSF courses aren't very good, but they're the best we have at this level, and certainly worth taking.  In a couple of years, consider taking Lee Parks' Advanced Riding Clinic.

Make her the gifts of David Hough's two Proficient Motorcycling books, either buy them or borrow them from your local library.  (If the library doesn't have them in their collection, they can get them for you through an inter-library loan.  Then, recommend that the library buy the books.)  For yourself, after you've read Hough's books, get Lee Parks' Total Control.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the Motorcycle Industry Council are both nonprofit 501(c)(6) business leagues required by law to promote their lines of business.  They share an address (2 Jenner,  Suite 150, Irvine, CA 92618) and share staff.  Both are funded by the motorcycle manufacturers.  The MSF's role, in addition to stimulating motorcycle sales, is to somewhat inoculate the manufacturers from legal liability by offering state approved training courses.
http://www.irs.gov/charities/nonprofits/article/0,,id=96107,00.html

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #9 - 07/27/09 at 18:58:44

Definitely take the course.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #10 - 07/27/09 at 19:53:21

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/27/09 at 20:00:40

look her straight in the eye
wag the finger
and with an authoritive voice
tell 'er... no wheelies young lady

congrats

and take the course of course.

WWW   IP Logged
redwolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/28/09 at 06:41:13

Since we are military we have to take the MSF  courses or we aren\t allowed to get a license or even ride a bike. Charleston AFB and the Charleston Naval Weapons Station both have excellent training courses. We even have a high speed course for more experienced riders that has lots of turns and obstacles. We have to retake the courses every 2 years. If you go up more than 100ccs or buy a different style bike, say you have been riding a cruiser then decided to buy a sport bike, you have to start the classes all over//using the new bike.

very worth it. Smiley

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #13 - 07/28/09 at 07:10:09

It sounds like they have a very worthwhile course for you.  Here in Washington State the course is seriously dumbed-down.  The Experienced Rider course, which they call the Intermediate Rider Course, is just slow speed work using the very limited MSF ERC Rider Classroom Cards.  In my group was one active duty guy just getting started riding.  He'd bombed out of the BRC but was invited into the ERC for practice.  He passed that and got his BRC card.  We also had military retirees, civilian base employees, and civilian base contractors who needed cards for base access.  One woman needed a card, 'cuz her learner's permit had expired while she was saving money for bike repairs.  I was the only one in the course just for the training.  I was very disappointed in what was offered to us--worth doing but not nearly comprehensive enough.  I'm planning on taking the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic next summer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:13:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Success! Wifey bought a S40!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.