Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gravel road riding - handles OK slow? (Read 145 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gravel road riding - handles OK slow?
07/27/09 at 04:11:54

We have a nice loop here I was thinking of doing.  Up from Maryville, TN into the Great Smokies, through Cades Cove and then out Parson's Branch to Rt. 129 (Dragon).  Except Parson's Branch is dirt/gravel.  How well does the 650 handle gravel?  I'm perfectly willing to ghost along in first for a few miles, but if the beast gets squirrelly I won't do it.

I hope there are no suicide squirrels today.  Ran into a fellow thought he had just missed a squirrel with his dual sport.  But he didn't.  The squirrel jumped up onto his bike and popped up suddenly next to him.  He nearly spilled.   At least my last squirrel just stayed in front of the bike until I stopped!!!!!!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Gravel road riding - handles OK slow?
Reply #1 - 07/27/09 at 07:06:16

The biggest concern with gravel (outside of falling down), is getting a rock on the belt.
If you are riding alone, just keep it slow so you don't spit a rock off the front tire up to the belt.
If you are riding with others, either go first or stay back a good bit so the rocks stop bouncing before they get to you.
Personally, I ride gravel when it gets between me and where I want to explore.  (Does this road go through?)
The Savage handles OK in gravel, but it ain't a dirt bike and doesn't have the tires to grip that kind of surface very well.  You see a corner coming, you better slow down.. A LOT.

I would have freaked if a squirrel jumped up in front of me on the bike!  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 07/27/09 at 07:36:41

I recently saw this article....wanted some tips due to new (Not packed down) gravel in my area.

(One thing I think I personally would remember is to use the rear brake only....but read more in the article)

I thought this article was good/had some good tips.

http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle229.htm

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/27/09 at 08:11:06

That looks good.  Just occurred to me - my driveway is mixed gravel, mud, packed dirt, and grass.  I never have any trouble unless I'm a little hot and spit gravel.  

I used to be able to drive cars OK on the track, and I've ridden road bicycles (good ones) on dinky short cut trails.  So I'll probably be OK.  I think I know a gravel road nearby, I can give it a whirl.

But I checked the map, and Parsons Branch comes out way up the Dragon.  I'd have to go very early to avoid idiots going too fast.  I liked 129 better before it was discovered.  Gianna used to have a very short elapsed time on it back then in her Mustang.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 07/27/09 at 09:07:26

FreeSpirit wrote on 07/27/09 at 07:36:41:
I thought this article was good/had some good tips.
http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle229.htm

I'm not sure I'd use just the rear brake.  If that rear locks, you have your hands full.  I'd use both brakes about equally and very carefully.  I like his part about staying loose on the bike and allowing it to move around a bit under the body while the body on the bike is loose and maintains as steady as possible center of gravity.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/27/09 at 09:23:50

If that front brake locks up you will really have your hand full,And you'll be down on the gravel

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 07/27/09 at 10:25:00

bill67 wrote on 07/27/09 at 09:23:50:
If that front brake locks up you will really have your hand full,And you'll be down on the gravel

Yes, but recovering from a locked front is easier than recovering from a locked rear--just release, balance, and straighten.  When the rear locks it must be released slowly so the rear doesn't regain traction too quickly.  One thing about gravel is that the surface has uneven traction...we don't know if we have it or not until sometimes too late.  I think we can agree not to brake on a curve unless necessary and then as gently as possible.  We need to consider the engine braking of the rear and not over-brake on the rear using the foot brake especially when in a lower gear.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/27/09 at 10:31:34

I wouldn't lock either brake front or back,And so far in 38 years of riding an over 150000 mile never have,And for some strange reason never went down,But I put about the same miles on Snowmobiles an as been years,So maybe that help me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 07/27/09 at 11:46:26

I think the article mentions "feathering" the rear brake.I dont think you can lock it up by feathering it.
I was told when I first got my bike not to use the front brake in gravel,by a old (meaning very experienced) biker.
We have a good bit of gravel around here and I took his words to heart when he told me that.

I wouldnt go that fast in gravel anyway.

But...I guess as my motto is "To each his own"  Smiley

(Any more thoughts on braking in gravel   Wink jk

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/27/09 at 11:51:12

I didn't need brakes on the dirt/gravel roads up in big bear.  Engine braking working just fine.  It handled the dirt/gravel just fine although I kept it in 3rd or lower cause there are patches of deep sand and whoa, those are fun.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #10 - 07/27/09 at 13:28:30

Voldigicam,
Hey I'm in the smokies too. Maybe we can ride together sometime.
I live on a steep gravel road and the 650 seems to do just fine.
Caution is the word though. Too much traffic for the cove this time of the year me thinks.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/27/09 at 13:41:26

Cove is always OK very very early in the mid week, except Wed.  By 9:30 they're starting to line up!!!  Fortunately, I'm usually up and about by the time it's light enough to see.  

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gravel road riding - handles OK slow?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.