Steering Adjustment (Read 77 times)
Puddle Pirate
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Steering Adjustment
07/26/09 at 18:51:58

To make a long story short, Elderly gentleman pulling away from curb, not looking ,runs into my leg while I'm cruising. Almost able to recover but at last second, I dropped the bike on it's right side. Some scrapes, one dent and an aching leg later, my bike rides well but the steering looks offset.
The handlebars turn left fine and hit the travel stop but turning right, the bars don't stop until they hit the tank (the previousely mentioned dent).

Would appreciate info on re-alighning bars. Not really very mechanical. I know the triple tree needs adjustment but where do I start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Steering Adjustment
Reply #1 - 07/26/09 at 19:15:56

Sorry to hear that Puddles, er PP, er Mr. Pirate.

The stop is OK?  Dented from the bars, not the forks?

Most likely the risers are tweaked.  Quickest way, take a crowbar and straighten them out.  Use padding where ever the bar touches.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 07/26/09 at 19:20:25

I would loosen the clamps (pinch bolts) on the top and bottom triple clamps and then lock the front wheel up against something  solid and push the bars left or right until everything aligns.  Then tighten the pinch bolts again.

WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 07/26/09 at 23:35:11

Loosen everything including front axle. Pump the fork a few times while aligning to ensure there's no additional stiction. When aligned, tighten upwards (axle first, then lower yoke and fork cap)

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/27/09 at 00:16:30

Could be just the handlebars bent.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #5 - 07/27/09 at 03:46:02

Glad you are ok. What about ins. did the guy get a ticket? Take the bike to a dealer tell them to fix everything send old guy the bill, you did nothing wrong make old guy pay for his mistake. Angry

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/27/09 at 04:47:52

+1

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #7 - 07/27/09 at 07:03:51

smokin_blue wrote on 07/26/09 at 19:20:25:
I would loosen the clamps (pinch bolts) on the top and bottom triple clamps and then lock the front wheel up against something  solid and push the bars left or right until everything aligns.  Then tighten the pinch bolts again.

Be extremely careful that you don't bend something else while trying to straighten whatever's bent.  The bars or risers likely got bent hitting the pavement with the weight and momentum of the bike on them and the wheel in the air.

I agree with getting a shop to do the work and billing the guy.  You DID file a police report???

IP Logged
Puddle Pirate
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Reply #8 - 07/27/09 at 08:44:29

Thanks guys (and girls) it could have been a lot worse. The old guy received a ticket for failure to yield and pled guilty in local court. Insurance is going to pay for some repairs and I made an appointment with a local shop to have them look at the steering. I don't want to mess with something I'm not that comfortable with.
Thanks for the support. Been riding 40 years and this is the first accident with another vehicle involved. Slipped on gravel, mud, etc. but that was my own fault. This was a clear sunny day and luckily at low speed. He never saw me and as I passed his drivers window I saw some movement and thought to myself "what the **** is he doing?". He then accelerated away from the curb and hit me.
Live and learn I guess.  Thanks again for the help.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.