Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery (Read 143 times)
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Battery
07/26/09 at 12:06:57

What type of battery's do you recommend?

I found this one it is a sealed AGM battery
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/sYTX14AHL-BS.html  Heck its $61.00 delivered! Undecided

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Battery
Reply #1 - 07/26/09 at 12:56:37

Be advised that those batteries are easy to over charge and ruin. I also have one and am very cautious if I have to charge it. Gene

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/26/09 at 13:09:57

I have a Big Crank. It has sat for months on end & fired right up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #3 - 07/26/09 at 14:01:03

personally id spend the extra $17 dollars and get the yuasa http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/YTX14AHL-BS.html which is a much better battery and made in USA and NOT Asia lol  Wink

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 07/26/09 at 20:01:15

I have a Di-Hard AGM Battery that I bought from Sears to replace the stock battery.  Once in the bike, I have yet to use my trickle charger.  Bike starts right up, even in the dead of winter here in Maryland.

« Last Edit: 07/27/09 at 10:31:39 by Educatedredneck »  

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/27/09 at 08:30:56

Did that diehard have the positive and negative the same as stock S40,I noticed the CCA is 210 higher than the  stock battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #6 - 07/27/09 at 09:27:05

It comes down to two batteries for me:

1- Any AGM, no spills and long shelf life. Higher initial cost, but if taken care of long life should be expected.
2- Any cheap conventional. Most manufacturing tech. has plateaued on conventional batteries. I bought the cheapest one I could find at this website:
http://www.batteryxpress.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=96
It came without acid (saves on shipping cost) and $2 for acid at the local interstate battery got me going for the cheapest way possible. With careful care even a conventional battery can last 5 years, but that means proper floating, proper temp. for storage, and most importantly checking each cell's SG regularly and keeping it full.

Prices on AGM have gotten better, if you can afford it I'd go that route. But if you're like me and ride on a budget, I highly recommend the website above; it took me 2 or 3 days of calling shops and scouring the internet to find the best price on a stock battery for our bike. Hopefully my time spent can help you as well, that's what the forum is here for. Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/27/09 at 09:43:07

Do they have that with the right positive and negative for the S40,the cheap one

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #8 - 07/27/09 at 10:57:38

bill67 wrote on 07/27/09 at 08:30:56:
  Did that diehard have the positive and negative the same as stock S40,I noticed the CCA is 210 higher than the  stock battery.

The Battery terminals are on the same side and the model # is 14AHL-BS - Gold Series, the battery is a snug fit, but goes in without any force, just watch your terminal hookups, the DiHard is a bit taller, you can short out if your not careful.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #9 - 07/27/09 at 11:15:53

bill67 wrote on 07/27/09 at 09:43:07:
   Do they have that with the right positive and negative for the S40,the cheap one

Yes, it was the 14LB2, not the common LA2 that can be had at walmart/pepboys/autozone/etc. It has the "reversed" terminals

You'll need battery acid to fill it with, I spent 1.99 at interstate battery, they were cheapest by far, and I got enough for almost two batteries.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/27/09 at 12:10:31

Thanks guys when I need one I will know which one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:21:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.