Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
does this sound  like a mechanics nightmare (Read 339 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: does this sound  like a mechanics nightmare
Reply #15 - 07/30/09 at 17:02:07

I'm deffinitely going to look into the speedo rattle this weekend, well at least go get all the parts, I'll need to borrow a friends garage to work on it though, at least now I know it's probably nothing major and can still ride to work

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #16 - 08/01/09 at 17:06:56

Check out the dodging the pulley bullit post. I had the same noise as some others. Someone called it the 'wheel of fortune' noise. Only when rolling forward, power on or off. Some guys have found the front pulley loose in spite of the lock washer. I had a loose rear axle bolt. Thought I had been torqueing it every other oil change or so. Was just loose enough that the rear drive pulley could wobble a little with a little bearing play. Work and rain have prevented a full test. Up and down the driveway says that it's fixed. Quick and simple fix. Had been driving me nuts for a month of more of daily commuting.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/01/09 at 21:40:03

don't think it's the pulley, the noise happens when the bike isn't moving too, just throttle on, neutral or not, when it's idle there is no noise, I'm leaning towards the speedo noise cause it sounds more like a rattle, especially through my helmet, I think the vibration of the engine when throttle is on causes the rattle, when I squeeze the gas tank with my legs as I'm riding the noise lessens but doesn't go away completely, even though with helmet off it kinda sounds like it's coming from the exhaust, I think that's just the sound traveling through the ending from the speedo some funny way.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #18 - 08/02/09 at 00:48:12

I had the very same problem, it turned out to be the belt drive cover,or the belt wheel rubbing on theinside of the cover,the bolts that hold it on have to be in exactly the same spot they where in as new,if you have ever taken it off ,take it off again and check for rubbing marks on the inside of the cover.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
savageken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/02/09 at 15:09:15

Had a rattle like that, drove me crazy reached up and touched the visor on my helmet (rattle stopped) visor snaps were loose

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 08/02/09 at 15:22:55

Could it be a whistle, not a chirp?  The exhaust is known to make a noise just above idle.  Similar to the old style VW bugs.  

Just a thought....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/02/09 at 15:33:19

I'll probably live with this for another couple of weeks then tear the speedo out and see what's up, how hard is it to replace the speedometer all together? maybe get one with a tach or a better odometer with a tripometer on it or something, eventually I'm thinking of getting a sportster tank and separate speedo and tach gages to put up on the handle bars instead of on the gas tank, anyone got any examples of that or advice? all this is probably 2 years down the road right now, but I"ll fix the noise in the next few weeks if it's the speedo thing, just hard to let it run out of gas, can't ride without gas  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:14:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › does this sound  like a mechanics nightmare

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.