Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorman "Ride like a Pro" videos? (Read 122 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motorman "Ride like a Pro" videos?
07/25/09 at 04:20:33

Anyone use these?  Look good to me.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Motorman "Ride like a Pro" videos?
Reply #1 - 07/25/09 at 06:03:35

Ive heard decent things, but Im satisfied with my riding. Im not scaring myself, so ILl just bungle on thru

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 07/25/09 at 06:25:34

I've watched one of them. I can't find the DVD so I must have returned it.

It was mostly slow speed balance and maneuvering. Things like:
- slow race - keep the motorcycle under 4mph on a straight line
- cone weaves, cone circles - how to get the motorcycle to make really tight turns. It seemed like the riders were dragging pegs on almost every stunt they did. Even the really slow ones.
- how to pick up really heavy motorcycles - a 5' woman picks up a 1100 lbs bike.

It was interesting to watch, but I'm not sure I learned anything.

I've found this advice to more practical:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 07/25/09 at 06:51:50

Go-Slow Race.  I like it!  How about several buddies line up and head for a finish line.  The last one there without touching the ground and who runs a more or less straight line wins!  Laugh, 'cuz it'll be tough.

Lots of truths in that promo video.  You local library might be able to get the DVD, perhaps on an inter-library loan from another library.

Also buy, or borrow from your library*, David L. Hough's More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride, and Lee Parks' Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques.  All, including James Davis' web site noted above, have 99% the same techniques with different emphasis or different ways of presenting the material.  Davis' site is best for understanding the physics.  Hough's book is best for everyday street riding.  Parks' book is best for pure cornering technique.  I'm making plans for next summer to attend a local Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic.  http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

Justin, try these techniques...you'll like the results a lot.

* My local library just got in two inter-library loan books for me...Hough's first book, Proficient Motorcycling (Second edition, 2008)  and Keith Code's first book, Twist of the Wrist.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/25/09 at 09:37:23

I went & checked the site given above, with the liones in the parking lot. I used to do that when I was riding a 10 speed, I could use the practice.It looked challenging & fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/25/09 at 11:47:25

Good advice, thanks.

I do OK at low speed already.  I'd like to be better and understand the dynamics better.  I can turn the bike in little circles.  If I removed the furniture, I could certainly ride 8s in my living room.  I'm still working on effortless cornering, but am doing better.   I've only ridden the thing 350 miles.  109 of them this morning.  Getting used to it.

One of those horrible mountain rides this morning, sun, trees, view of the smokies and the valley, lots of bikes out.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 07/25/09 at 12:04:41

I bought one of his videos when I first got my bike.( Ride Like A Pro IV)

I learned some things from it,but I was a beginner.
I may watch it again soon and see if there's still any info I missed or that would be helpful now.It does say for experienced riders also.

I liked it,especially the way they handled such big bikes in little places.

But it seemed to be mostly slow riding,handling a bike in tight places,turns,U-Turns,cone practices,practicing for State License test,etc.(Like the guys have said)

The MSGroup online is interesting with some good info!

I think I remember one of the last Ride Like A Pro series that said you only needed that particular one and not all the  rest of his DVD's.That everything he taught was in that one....maybe would be best to get that one,if any...or check it out Undecided

Then again I think he's from Florida,not up in the Mtns with all the curves Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #7 - 07/25/09 at 17:15:26

I watched both his DVD's Ride like a Pro) and (Tail of the Dragon) They are both great learning tools even for us older riders.

Ride Safe
                                                                        Marine5317

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/25/09 at 18:07:32

When you think you have total control thats the time to watch out,When in trouble a natural instinct works best for me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/09 at 19:50:52

Natural instinct generally results from lots of careful work over a long period of time.

I might get the video.  My brother in law recommended I get it.  He used to be a professional rider.

Quite a mix of people heading up to the Dragon today.  An old Kawasaki twin.  A Honda GL1000.  A couple of dual sports.  I turned right rather than go over to NC.  Think I had the only single.  No way I will get on 129 during a weekend day.  Too many people too influenced by their buddies, and with plates from flat states.  Just looks dangerous.  I'll slowly drive my truck over, that's about it for weekend travel over that route!

Think I'll go up the Cherahola Skyway some time this week.  Have to see how far it is.  I can bicycle up to the Dragon, it's pretty close.  Of course, I bicycle pretty well.  

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 07/26/09 at 00:54:04

If you get the Tail of the Dragon video/DVD,let us know how you liked it!

I've been debating on whether to get that one or not as that's mostly all there is here in my area also -- curvy roads.

I thought I read somewhere that the video is only about 30 min long.I could be mistaken on that though:-/

Edit: It's 37 min long exactly Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/27/09 at 09:51:50 by FreeSpirit »  

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorman "Ride like a Pro" videos?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.