Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Since the tank's off anyway... (Read 192 times)
PTRider

Re: Since the tank's off anyway...
Reply #15 - 07/24/09 at 19:40:02

LostArtist wrote on 07/24/09 at 13:23:16:
do you need any special tools to adjust the valves? 

You'll want the specially skinny motorcycle feeler gauges, probably 0.004", 0.005", & 0.006".  You'll really appreciate a 10mm deep offset box end wrench...not a bad idea to get a full set.  They're cheap from Harbor Junk or an equal source.  You'll want to find just the right angle to slip the feeler gauge between the valve and the tappet.  It is easy to get it in at the wrong angle and it feels tight when it isn't really.*  6-thousands is the no-go size.  4 or 5-thousands is the right gap.

*I had the privilege of adjusting my valves twice.  The first time they were quiet when cold and were really talking to me when warm.  The second time I found that correct angle to get the feelers into the gap and the valves were quieter than before I started messin' with stuff.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Since the tank's off anyway...
Reply #16 - 07/24/09 at 23:02:38

If you have normal fingers you CAN take a feeler gauge out of the pack & put a 90 in it about an inch back from the rounded end & scoop a "ski tip" in the end. Then, by leaving the nut loose & screwing the adjuster down( Yep, loosen that sucker up_), you can get a feel for the force required to slip the feeler back & forth. Hold the adjuster with a screwdriver, so it doesnt tighten down as you tighten the set nut. That May loosen the adjustment off a bit, as the adjusters threads get lifted tight into the rockers threads. If so, loosen the jam nut, barely turn the adjuster tighter & try again. Do it till you win.

Have a magnet handy if you drop the feeler gauge. Ive cut mine off short, so its got about an inch, then a 90 & it goes up about an inch or so,bending to accommodate my hand then its cut off.A flashlight is never a bad idea.

Before the spark plug comes out, a blast of air to clear any crud can keep sandy gritty crap outta the cylinder..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 21:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Since the tank's off anyway...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.