Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
don't drag race....EVER! (Read 555 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: don't drag race....EVER!
Reply #15 - 07/23/09 at 23:42:20

Rocco wrote on 07/23/09 at 23:00:10:
i almost cry when i hear the love stories from back then...my uncle had a '69 shelby...traded her for a '73 mach 1 i believe then sold it for a caddy....what an idiot!

OH! btw i think the ticket did me good, i'm much more easy on the throttle now, and alot less compelled to go fast. kinda like when i laid her down, i guess i have to learn things the hard way!!

I did race on a motorcycle one time,but it wasnt my fault!!

LOL...I was a passenger and had no idea the race was going to happen Grin Too late then,the motorcycles were wound out as fast as they could go. I was a little afraid at first then I thought might as well go with it,there was nothing I could do anyway...I couldnt jump off Wink

BTW Wasnt there a Shelby Boss and a Shelby GT? There is a guy I know that has a 68 or 69 Shelby(I think Boss) that bought it new! and still has it Shocked

I loveeeeeeeeee the Mustangs!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/24/09 at 01:54:00

I think all the "Boss" Fords had a specially set up 302 CID engine.
Ill bet theres some old gear head around here who can verify or vilify that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #17 - 07/24/09 at 08:10:12

Hey Rocco, it's a wise man who learns from his mistakes, only a fool ignores them.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 07/24/09 at 09:01:07

i'm almost positive there were only shelby's and the boss is different. shelby was like a non inhouse performance mod like roush or saleen is today as shelby is pretty close with ford. that's how i have it, but then again i was born in '88 so please correct me if i'm wrong!

and i know the super cobra jets were the engine 429 or 426 depending on the year!

and i did learn, u are 100% correct! i just wish this lesson didn't cost me almost 300 bucks!!  Shocked

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #19 - 07/24/09 at 09:39:17

Rocco wrote on 07/24/09 at 09:01:07:
i'm almost positive there were only shelby's and the boss is different. shelby was like a non inhouse performance mod like roush or saleen is today as shelby is pretty close with ford. that's how i have it, but then again i was born in '88 so please correct me if i'm wrong!

and i know the super cobra jets were the engine 429 or 426 depending on the year!

and i did learn, u are 100% correct! i just wish this lesson didn't cost me almost 300 bucks!!  Shocked

Pretty close Rocco... The "Shelby" name was used both "in-house" by the Ford family on some Mustangs and even the GT race machines which won Le-Mans. He (Mr. Carrol Shelby) also used his own name outside of Ford for cars and parts at different points in history.

As someone mentioned, the "Boss" was usually associated with a 302 C.I. aptly named the "Boss 302." However, and now as a primarily GM person, I could be wrong, but there may have been a "Boss 351 C.I."

I'm pretty sure the biggest engines from Ford came in 427; 428; and 429. All very much different besides the one cubic inch of displacement. But no 426 C.I. was associated with Ford, as I recall, the Mopar line of Hemi engines were famous for that one. They (Hemi) were so much of an advantage they were eventually banned by NASCAR.

Also they are the cylinder type upon which our little LS650 combustion chamber resembles; except with two domes and a pair of valves for each cylinder dome! (Makes you wonder why it isn't a two spark plug design...

Didn't someone around here do a two plug conversion? Lancer? Was it done by modifying a LS650 cylinder head? And when will details be available?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 07/24/09 at 10:19:37

Rocco wrote on 07/24/09 at 09:01:07:

If it was $10 bucks, you probably wouldn't have learned....
I know I wouldn't!.... Grin

BTW,... the lesson is,...
Never get caught....  Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #21 - 07/24/09 at 10:23:21

if it was ten bucks, i'd give the officer the money then tear through the gears right in front of him!

and yes, not getting caught was the 2nd lesson!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 07/24/09 at 10:41:47

I got a $150 dollar lesson 2006, .... it lasted about a year...  Grin

I was driving my Metro...
Who knew it could the speed limit?....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #23 - 07/24/09 at 11:33:56

Drag race... no.

street race... sometimes.

I raced someone in a sporty merc a while back. sadly he had me in the straightaway, but once we reached the turns.... dusted.

good thing about the curvy races is that cops can't hide all that much...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #24 - 07/24/09 at 12:14:50

thank u Rockin_John for the info! i get all my info from cool stories and magazines as these cars are only show cruisers now! such a shame huh?

and i don't doubt u could get in trouble in a metro. i had a '94 four door automatic nissan sentra with the smaller engine but somehow i could chirp and squeal the tires @ will! everyone thought i was nuts!

then my dad had a dodge dakota(4.7l v8) with a frame on the back that made the rear sit nice, and i actually pulled several steve mcqueen's by burning out in reverse lol

we guys don't mature, we just get tired of paying the fines hahaa

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #25 - 07/24/09 at 15:46:44

I'm pretty sure the biggest engines from Ford came in 427; 428; and 429. All very much different besides the one cubic inch of displacement. But no 426 C.I. was associated with Ford, as I recall, the Mopar line of Hemi engines were famous for that one. They (Hemi) were so much of an advantage they were eventually banned by NASCAR.

I remember Ford had a 490 V8. My dad had it in his Park Lane. Great big comfortable boat of a car that hauled a$$. I don't think they put it in the sports cars, but I'm sure there wre some clever dudes back then  that would have tried. This is back when cars were CARS!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #26 - 07/24/09 at 16:37:14

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #27 - 07/25/09 at 11:20:15

Skid Mark wrote on 07/24/09 at 15:46:44:
remember Ford had a 490 V8. My dad had it in his Park Lane.

The big Ford engine was 460, not 490  Wink

I can relate to the original posters story. I once did a nice smoky burnout in front of what seemed the whole Falls Church, VA PD one night in my 1968 Z28. It cost me Grin Back then it was called "reckless driving".

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #28 - 07/25/09 at 16:26:17

You are probably right Dyna Bob. It's been a long time since I thought of those cars. Brings to mine the saying; "There is no substitute for horsepower"

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #29 - 07/25/09 at 21:00:27

although torque is a close second! lol i love how torquey the thumper is!

my co-worker who has the candy orange shadow 750(who claims his bike weighs 850pounds...yeah right!) said y would i be racing on this bike since he had an 05 s40....i said because she's all torque! u can't go fast for long in south florida but my 0-60 is better!

someone asked him who's bike is faster "he'll get me off the line and his is louder" was his reply

i'll take that!!! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › don't drag race....EVER!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.