Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
don't drag race....EVER! (Read 555 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
don't drag race....EVER!
07/23/09 at 04:52:21

well folks...i did it..i'm an idiot!

my friend and i were leaving, he was in his bro's mustang which is not stock btw and we were next to each other @ a light. light turns green and he peals out and reaches 90 in an instant. i took off the same time he did but kept it to 50ish....

they pulled us both and said i was doing 65 in a 45...i was so tempted to say but officer i was in 4th gear and she doesn't go past 50 in 4th......but he didn't want to hear my plea. $266 "1/4 mile" ticket....great!

i try my best not to do stupid stuff, especially on 2 wheels but i guess the testosterone and mountain dew wouldn't let me be! so glad i don't have a sport bike and not sure if more power is what i need, for a while anyways  Angry

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: don't drag race....EVER!
Reply #1 - 07/23/09 at 05:01:50

But... was it fun at the time?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 07/23/09 at 05:09:44

HE%% YEAH IT WAS!!! i kept up with him for a bit and the bike sounded great!!!! i'm tellin ya, it's almost too tempting sometimes!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/23/09 at 06:03:58

I live right near the "Dragon."  Which used to just be a road up in the mountains (there are better ones, but I'm not telling).  I have observed many near misses.  The cause is almost always overdriving one's ability and common sense.  Drag racing is the common sense aspect.  Someone else drives one to do stupid.  

The other someone else problem is what I see on the Dragon.  Groups where the leader is (as usual) the best rider.  And one of the followers can't do the turn, ends up heading across the line or into the ditch/woods/rail.  That other person seems to have some people going outside of common sense or ability.

The drag racing instinct works great, though.  I've used it many times.  The adjacent fellow hassles one to race.  Stop at the light side by side. You rev your engine, he revs his.  Light changes, he takes off like mad.  You just accelerate normally, and the other fellow isn't around to hassle you.  

If I get pissed/annoyed/provoked I pull over.   Must drive calm.  Essential.  No distractions.

Speaking of distractions - my cell phone in my tank bag set on vibrate actually sends very faint vibrations into the tank and I can feel them with my knees.  Worried me very much, this incredibly faint new vibration!  When I saw the missed call and recalled the position of the phone it made sense.  Another distraction to eliminate.

Racing is fine - on a track.  I've only done cars on a track.  It's a blast.  Out on the road I'm a speed limit and under paranoid driver.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 07/23/09 at 07:22:09

Hummm doesn’t sound like you did anything terrible held the speed down and all except perhaps failed on the situational awareness.

I did the inverse of this about 35 years ago – a buddy of mine had just bought a new Gremlin X – bright red with a gold stripe – ugly maybe but the 304ci v8 in these tailless cars would in fact smoke the tires and move them along pretty good.

I was at a stop light when a souped VW with burbling exhaust pulled up beside me – being cool I didn’t look at the VW but when light changed it exhaust let loose so I dumped the clutch on the Gremlin X and banged second gear – about this time there were more flashing lights around us than a person could believe.

Turned out it wasn’t a souped VW beside me after all – it was 3 JCP motorcycle cops on Harleys. As they laughed their arse off they wrote me a ticket for “attempting to race”.

I failed the situational awareness test that night

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/23/09 at 08:02:32

In '72 I was carrying out groceries & heard some 4 barrels open up. Looked up & a GTO & a cop were side by side on Grandview. Couldnt tell who won, but there were no tickets that day. I know who was driving the GTO, one of the seniors at permian had that car.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 07/23/09 at 09:06:09

man i wish i had awesome stories like that! 2day's cars are so lame compared to the beasts u guys drove! and for the record, i'd love a gremlin and i'd give my left one for a goat!

i figured u guys would understand, i admit it's stupid but i was "controlled stupid" like u said! it won't happen again(i can't afford it to!) and next time the other dude gets the "rev and coast"! lol

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #7 - 07/23/09 at 12:57:57

Gotta race in the country, bro. Smiley

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 07/23/09 at 14:10:09

One night(I was in my 20's) I was off work....got bored about 2am....had a Mustang-(351 Cleveland)-decided to go for a ride.

Pulled up to the 4lane hwy....thought I'm going to race the next car that comes along.

Well,saw the car coming waited til it got fairly close ....I took off,I'm very good at speed shifting,was ahead...they caught up, with me flying....and....I thought,YES,a race!  But...

It was a Police Car...LOL.

Of course the blue light came on.I pulled over.The policeman said...
"Mam,were you trying to race me?"
I said "UM,yeah,I was,....sorry,I was bored"
He smiled and said"I think maybe you should go home"
I said "Yep,guess so".
I didnt get a ticket Wink

(I think if life was fair you'd get to be in your 20's twice Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/23/09 at 14:20:43

Years ago women never got tickets,Now with equal rights,that means they get tickets too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 07/23/09 at 14:56:13

bill67 wrote on 07/23/09 at 14:20:43:
  Years ago women never got tickets,Now with equal rights,that means they get tickets too.

AH,it depends bill....it depends Wink

(Mine wasnt a new car...just looked new,restored  Cool  

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 07/23/09 at 18:12:30

yeah, it doesn't help that i look like i'm up to no good! lol

being bad is a curse AND a blessing.....dammit lol

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 07/23/09 at 19:51:53

Rocco wrote on 07/23/09 at 18:12:30:
yeah, it doesn't help that i look like i'm up to no good! lol

being bad is a curse AND a blessing.....dammit lol

With police I just find it always best to be honest. They are much more impressed. Otherwise they're not impressed at all Wink

I think sometimes they let you off just for being honest Smiley
Then again people tell me I have a innocent looking face  Undecided

Maybe youre right...just dont drag race ever Grin

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #13 - 07/23/09 at 20:11:27

Oh the 70's. How I loved it (still live it). 340 'Cuda, Blue and white. A real sleeper. The only car I "loved". I was a teenager. Gas and insurance ate me up. Had to sell it. Cry!!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 07/23/09 at 23:00:10

i almost cry when i hear the love stories from back then...my uncle had a '69 shelby...traded her for a '73 mach 1 i believe then sold it for a caddy....what an idiot!

OH! btw i think the ticket did me good, i'm much more easy on the throttle now, and alot less compelled to go fast. kinda like when i laid her down, i guess i have to learn things the hard way!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:10:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › don't drag race....EVER!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.