Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need to align rear wheel help? (Read 107 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Need to align rear wheel help?
07/22/09 at 15:48:47

Bill has a way to do it, but I dont quite understand how to use his tool to align the rear wheel. I jacked up the and loosened the rear wheel today in order to put on my new saddle bracket. My rear wheel is now misaligned lol. I have to turn my forks slight right inorder to go straight. Is my rear wheel off to the right too much?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Need to align rear wheel help?
Reply #1 - 07/22/09 at 16:00:43

Get some kind of a straightedge and put it on the back tire,a string can work.Pull it to the front and get it parallel to the front tire,Then you know which way to get the back tire to make the front parallel .You could even push it on a 2x4 laying flat,keep adjusting it it till it runs straight and not off the 2x4,Best is a rail road track if you have one close by when it rides the rails and don't fall off you got it right.Do watch out for trains.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/23/09 at 10:18:23

bill67 wrote on 07/22/09 at 16:00:43:
Get some kind of a straightedge and put it on the back tire,a string can work.Pull it to the front and get it parallel to the front tire,Then you know which way to get the back tire to make the front parallel .You could even push it on a 2x4 laying flat,keep adjusting it it till it runs straight and not off the 2x4,Best is a rail road track if you have one close by when it rides the rails and don't fall off you got it right.Do watch out for trains.

kewl, thanks. Running over a straight edge. thanks man

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/23/09 at 10:50:57

Last time I checked I used the xwalk line in front of my house

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/09 at 15:53:56

Done and done.

Turns out that the left swing arm adjuster was out of place. It is supposed to point strait out, but I had accidently set it back pointing down lol. Lined up the bike on measuring tape to see how far out to the right the tire was. Jacked it up, put small cinder block under the stand and rolled the back tire. It rubbed sooo, we loosened the axle nuts and adjusted the left swing arm until the tire rolled nice and readjusted the right side as well. Tightened everything, dropped it town, took it for a spin, and tested it on a 10foot beam of wood. Looks pretty good.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/23/09 at 21:40:20

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/09 at 04:46:01

Digger wrote on 07/23/09 at 21:40:20:

Yeah, I looked at it and it does not make sense. Soooo, I used measuring tape to see what side the rear wheel was off centre. Adjust the the left swing arm adjuster to have the wheel go left a bit. Measured the distance between the the adjuster nut and the screw. Adjust the right side to be the same distance and all should be well now. Rode it around the block and the bike felt good.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #7 - 07/24/09 at 05:08:13

odvelasc wrote on 07/24/09 at 04:46:01:
Digger wrote on 07/23/09 at 21:40:20:

Yeah, I looked at it and it does not make sense. Soooo, I used measuring tape to see what side the rear wheel was off centre. Adjust the the left swing arm adjuster to have the wheel go left a bit. Measured the distance between the the adjuster nut and the screw. Adjust the right side to be the same distance and all should be well now. Rode it around the block and the bike felt good.

Aligning the wheel to swingarm is not exactly the same as aligning the pulleys or aligning the wheels. I prefer aligning the wheels using the string method.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:57:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need to align rear wheel help?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.