Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Random Valve Adjustment Tips (Read 92 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Two Random Valve Adjustment Tips
07/21/09 at 19:26:33

Well, I looked in the Technical section for the Valve Adjustment thread, but could not find it.

I wanted to add these two tips to the thread:

Tip #1:  Having the right kind of feeler gauges really simplifies this job.

I bought one of each size of the Motion Pro Tappet Feeler Gauges.  You need one of each size offered (a total of three items) to do the job properly:

Here is a pic of one of these nifty feeler gauges in action:

The job is a lot easier when using these special feeler gauges.  I feel as if I was setting the clearance too loose when I was using straight blade feeler gauges.

Tip #2:  To prevent a false "no-go" condition when trying to insert a feeler gauge while checking valve clearance, you need to ensure that the rocker arm's tappet adjustment screw is not resting on top of the valve stem.  I do this by gently "levering" the outboard end of the rocker arm upward using a screwdriver:

After moving the rocker arm, you can carefully remove the screwdriver.  The rocker arm should stay in the lifted position.  If you have the clearance, you can now easily get the feeler gauge into the gap.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Two Random Valve Adjustment Tips
Reply #1 - 07/22/09 at 05:30:50

I can sure see how that would make life easier. My little bent up feeler gauge blades dont have the Backbone that does to push the thing in, so I have to crunch my fat little grippers down in there..I may try riveting a piece on something..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Two Random Valve Adjustment Tips
Reply #2 - 07/22/09 at 05:52:46

New feeler gauges often have a bit of a stamping burr on the edge that catches. Just polish the edge up on a wheel or with very fine abrasive paper.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two Random Valve Adjustment Tips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!