Paint Removal (Read 229 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Paint Removal
07/21/09 at 15:41:19

I'm sure it's been covered on here before, but I'll be darned if I could find it. Since I've got two new fenders that are different colors than my horrendous tank  Embarrassed I need to get busy with updating the paint. I plan to pull both fenders and the tank this weekend and would like to get as much done as possible to remove the old paint & possibly prime and/or paint the tins.

1. What have you guys found to be the quickest, most effective way to remove the old paint?  Undecided

2. Is there a step by step guide to get the best possible finish from using rattle cans to come up with a decent/nice finished product?

3. Are there any surprises that I should be on the lookout for?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, and wish me luck. I will be checking this between now and Friday for suggestions.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Paint Removal
Reply #1 - 07/21/09 at 17:58:05

I hear brake fluid is just murder on paint.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/21/09 at 19:08:45

aircraft paint stripper works great.
available at wallyworld.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 07/21/09 at 20:07:04

I did rattlecan's on mine using Rustoleum white and clear.  Not too bad, but the key is in the prep and finish work, not so much the painting.  Pics are here:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2005646&id=1451617588&l=b180ef1569  

1.  Jasco paint stripper and a plastic scrapper (all the hardware stores)... wear protective gloves if you don't want skin burns.

2.  Here are a few links I found very useful:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm
http://www.warkshop.com/motopainting.html
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/MR101/MR101-painting.htm
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=printpage;topic=36659.0

3.  The key is the a clean surface up front and lots of hand rubbing on the end.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
91 UK SAVAGE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

weston super mare,england
Reply #4 - 07/22/09 at 01:54:31

I used paint stripper and a plastic scrapper on mine, and yes wear protective gloves if you don't want skin burns

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/22/09 at 05:18:11

well ventilated area...a big fan
No sense in cooking off high quantities of brain cells over a danged paint job. If you are gonna burn some, make it at least be a fun thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #6 - 07/22/09 at 07:19:55

Don't use Duplicolor products they're crap

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 07/22/09 at 12:01:43

So after day 1 it sounds like you guys all prefer a chemical stripping product to get the tins back to bare metal (or as close to it as possible). The only time I've used a chemical stripper is for removing some varnish from furniture and I cussed that stuff all day long.  Angry Hopefully this experience will be better.

After I get it stripped and cleaned/neutralized use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth out any variations before I shoot it with 2 or 3 coats of primer.

I'm thinking I might do a two tone treatment, but I'm not sure of the best way to proceed. I really liked the flat black / red that I saw one of the users on the forum use on his bike (kevinphan). If I do something similar to this, should I do the flat black first or second? With a color combination like that, should I use a clear coat as well?  Huh

Again, thanks for all your advice in advance.  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 07/22/09 at 13:42:19

Actually, if the paint that's on them now is in good shape you probably wouldn't have to take them back to bare metal, just scuff them up with some fine grit sand paper, smoothing them down in the process.  A primer of some kind over the old base  coats would help, so you wouldn't need as many coats of the new color to keep the old from showing through.

As far as what order to paint the two-tone scheme in, I would paint the smaller portion first (inset, flames, etc.) then mask that off and paint the main body of the tank.  It should require much less time spent masking things off.

Good luck, we're all waiting for pics of the results when it's done! Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/22/09 at 13:51:23

I don't think they would need stripping,My brother Stripped a 1973 Suzuki GT550 years ago.Stock tank, it had about 10 coats of paint on it every one a differenced color,The Japs must of did that for a reason,I guess to get a real good smooth finish.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/22/09 at 13:51:37

The paint on the bike is a total loss, they previous owner sprayed it with a fake fleck stone stuff that has lots of texture, so I'm gonna have to at least get below that layer and probably should take it back to bare metal.

Current pic of the tank:

I will try to document my progress and steps that I decide to take in order to help anyone else.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 07/22/09 at 14:05:27

be careful, when u get the tank down 2 bare metal, u may like it that way!! ahahahaaa

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 07/22/09 at 14:08:35

Rocco wrote on 07/22/09 at 14:05:27:
be careful, when u get the tank down 2 bare metal, u may like it that way!! ahahahaaa

Didn't you end up spraying yours all your favorite color, flat black?  Grin

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #13 - 07/22/09 at 20:04:37

Usually if it's stock paint you can just sand and paint over it. But it definitely sounds like you would want to go to bare metal if the PO used a textured paint.  Trust me, chemical stripper is much easier than trying to sandpapering that down to bare metal (voice of experience).  But the stripper won't get it all and you'll have to sandpaper the remaining patches.  Watch out for the stripper, it is acid you know.  And make sure you get it good and clean before laying any paint so it adhers good.

Question...have you considered having it sandblasted?  Don't know the cost or viability of it, but any others that may have experience with it might want to chime in.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 07/22/09 at 20:38:30

I would think blasting would work good on that stuff, but if you use actual sand, and not soda blasting or similar, be careful.  If you hold on one spot too long it can actually build enough heat to warp larger flat areas.  That's why soda or other medias are usually recommended for body panels.

Just my $.02. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:20:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.