Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: Paint Removal
Reply #15 - 07/23/09 at 05:21:01

EJID wrote on 07/22/09 at 14:08:35:
Rocco wrote on 07/22/09 at 14:05:27:
be careful, when u get the tank down 2 bare metal, u may like it that way!! ahahahaaa

Didn't you end up spraying yours all your favorite color, flat black?  Grin

NO WAY!! the tank is bare metal while everything else is flat black!! gotta be a little different!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #16 - 07/23/09 at 12:35:35

Rocco wrote on 07/23/09 at 05:21:01:
EJID wrote on 07/22/09 at 14:08:35:
Rocco wrote on 07/22/09 at 14:05:27:
be careful, when u get the tank down 2 bare metal, u may like it that way!! ahahahaaa

Didn't you end up spraying yours all your favorite color, flat black?  Grin

NO WAY!! the tank is bare metal while everything else is flat black!! gotta be a little different!

Don't you get blinded by the sun?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #17 - 07/23/09 at 12:44:39

to be honest, the headlight is way shinier then the tank. the handlebars are killer as well!

i thought the tank was gonna be a problem reflection wise....nope...and i live in florida, if there's a place to have sun problems, it's here!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #18 - 07/23/09 at 12:49:26

So, here's the supplies that I have gathered so far for my repaint. Any suggestions on changes that should be made? I also have some 150 grit paper not shown in the picture cause the wife was using it on another project (Hope there's some left for me). I wanted to get the dark blue in Rust-Oleum as well, but they didn't have any other than a bright blue  Sad (Not what I wanted), so I will see how this Valspar works.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #19 - 07/24/09 at 09:57:05

Any last minute suggestions before I get started?

The replacement front & rear fenders are both factory paint and in good condition, so I am planning on just sanding them with some 150 or 220 and cleaning them before I prime/paint.

I will have to remove the tank and strip it completely, but hopefully I can get it done today/tomorrow so I can at least get it primed this weekend  Grin

Wish me luck, I will post pictures of my progress...  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #20 - 07/25/09 at 12:25:43

Don't use course sandpaper. 360 grit should smooth things out after the paint stripper. I use fine steel wool (or course if needed) to remove the paint stripper/old paint.

Get some "Metal Prep" from an automotive paint place and put it on the bare tank following the directions on the bottle. It's phosphoric acid and will keep the tank from rusting. Use Scotchbrite to apply the metal prep. If you have to get it Monday, just spay a thin coat of primer on the tank now. It will come off easily with lacquer thinner. Speaking of lacquer thinner, wipe the bare tank down well with lacquer thinner prior to priming.

Sand the primer with 400 grit before adding more primer or painting.

Sandblasting is not good for sheetmetal.

Final suggestion - coat your paint job with clear engine paint. If you don't , modern gas with ethanol will eat the paint. I found that out the hard way  :'(

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #21 - 07/25/09 at 22:22:30

Here's another tip regarding paints...you can spray enamel over lacquer...but you can't spray lacquer on top of enamel.

The primer you bought should be lacquer and your color is probably enamel. If you put clear on top of the color, make sure it's not lacquer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.