Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
with or without oil filter? (Read 154 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
with or without oil filter?
07/20/09 at 08:27:35

i read in the oil change forum that the amount of oil is something like 2qts without the filter and 2.2qts with it?

what do they mean by that? i obviuosly put the oil filter back in b4 i fill up the oil right? maybe the wording confused me lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: with or without oil filter?
Reply #1 - 07/20/09 at 08:53:12

They arent suggesting NO oil filter, they are talking about the oil required IF you change it or dont change it. The oil filter holds some oil in it, so, if you dont change the oil filter, it takes less oil to refill. Apparently, NOt changing the filter is an accepted operation..would make an oil change go from inexpensive to downright cheap, using the Rotella-T 15/40 I run.Tho I believe it is up to $11.00/gallon. I bought about 18 back when it was $9.00. If I could get a good deal on it, I'd buy a 55 gallon drum.
The Savage, the Yamaha 250 quad,the riding lawnmower, the backhoe & when I get an engine in the old pickup, that'll be running it too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/20/09 at 08:56:05

The filter holds a bit of oil.  2qts if you don't CHANGE the oil filter.  2.2 qts if you do.
What you should do:  Put in 2qts and change the filter.  Fire it up, let it run a while.  Shut it off, let it sit a while.  Check oil and add if needed.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #3 - 07/20/09 at 09:14:36

Change the filter any way.......... the filter is full of Crap.

It would be like taking a shower and putting on the dirty Drawers you had on before. Wink

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/20/09 at 09:33:25

If that were true, the manual wouldnt go so far as suggest Not changing it. That filter is nowhere near its capacity to filter, if it was, then we'd have to ask ourselves what is in it. What exactly IS in that filter? Metal shavings as the engine wears. A new filter has nothing stuck in it, it will pass a few tiny things. The crud starts by going to the higher flow areas & clogging them up, then, the filter gets a bit better, in terms of holding tiny things back.So, IF the filter was loaded at the end of the 3,000 mile trip, then how many oil changes would an engine even survive? Wouldnt it be worn out after just a few "Oil filters loaded with metal shavings"?

I've "autopsied" several oil filters & there isnt all that much metal in there.There are the occasional pieces that cause a heart flutter just looking at them, but, the amount of crud caught in one of these tiny little oil filters after 3,000 miles is negligible & would have little impact on the filters ability to flow & filter efficiently.

Kel said:

the filter is full of Crap.

It would be like taking a shower and putting on the dirty Drawers you had on before.

Errmmm, uhhh,, well, Kel, maybe Im not reading this right, so, I gotta ask,, are you telling us the drawz you take off before its shower time, man, are you telling us theres crap in yo' drawz? Say it aint so, man,,

( Nothing personal Kel, I woulda took that shot at anyone)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 07/20/09 at 09:48:34

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! ok, thanks for clearing that up! i'm still used to cars where u replace the filter every time!

i don't know what i was thinking, it just didn't make sense. i guess with or without meant if the filter was in it or not....which makes absolutely no sense!

and the underwear was a good analogy! how much is a filter anyway? 3 bucks? 5 bucks? if it's better for the engine i'm in!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/20/09 at 10:34:46

But, but,,, even the manufacturer, who warranties the engines & sells the filter, say its acceptable to not change the filter every time.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 07/20/09 at 10:44:16

Rocco wrote on 07/20/09 at 09:48:34:
how much is a filter anyway? 3 bucks? 5 bucks? if it's better for the engine i'm in!

Filters are $4.47 for OEM at BikeBandit.com: http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-atv-ls650s40-2006-oil-pump/o/m9766sch510386  It's part #9 on the schematic.  I usually order them 2 at a time and replace the spring and o-ring every other change.

Not to start an oil war, but I use Mobil V-twin synthetic 20W-50 in my '06.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/20/09 at 12:33:57

I use the Mobil Vtwin oil too.  do you notice higher oil consumption with synthetic?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/20/09 at 12:43:50

I use Klotz racing Synthetic, I started It when I had 1200 miles on the bike. I used about a cup and half of oil in 1000 miles,the last 1000 I didn't' use any,Maybe I started Synthetic to soon and It wasn't completely broke in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #10 - 07/21/09 at 10:54:57

buttgoat1 wrote on 07/20/09 at 12:33:57:
I use the Mobil Vtwin oil too.  do you notice higher oil consumption with synthetic?

I switched to the synthetic at 2400 miles and haven't noticed any consumption issues.  The bike's got a touch over 7600 now and the last change was at 5779.  I checked it yesterday when I got home from work and it's still about 1/2 way between the lines like it was after the change.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › with or without oil filter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.