Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front tire a little warped, and squeeking (Read 146 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front tire a little warped, and squeeking
Reply #15 - 07/23/09 at 10:15:47

spacepirates wrote on 07/23/09 at 08:59:06:
my front wheel squeaks something fierce when it is wet, fine when it is dry. not the brakes, because the sound doesn't change when i squeeze 'em.

I'd imagine that there isn't really any way to do this with the front wheel on the ground? I'll have to pull some macgyver stunts to lift that wheel up without a jack or blocks... 'course i suppose a $200 investment in a motorcycle jack would be well worth it in the long run.

but let me see if i have this alignment process correct:
1) get front wheel spinning freely
2) use a marker, and while the tire is spinning get it to just barely touch the tire
3) at the marker's mark, on the same side of the wheel, loosen one or two spokes at 1/2 turn increments and on the opposite side tighten spokes at 1/2 turns
4) wash, rise, repeat. where i literally mean rub off the markings, and spin the wheel again.

do you have to do both sides? that sounds kind of ridiculous... but should you alternate sides between spoke adjustments? mark one side, adjust, then mark the other side, adjust...?

Look at the wheel closely using the marker. Its possible that opposite the side that tilts "left" there is a section that tilts "right". If the rim got knocked over, it loosened the spokes on one side & tightened those on the other, then, 180* across the rim, it pulled a little on one side & slacked up the spokes on the other.
If spokes just vibrated loose, then just tighten them up.
You dont "mark" the wheel, you let the wheel mark itself, as it spins.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Front tire a little warped, and squeeking
Reply #16 - 07/23/09 at 10:31:25

... oddly enough, i'm not sure there is a tree branch off that size readily available. but i like the idea. i'm sure there is something i can use around here.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:24:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front tire a little warped, and squeeking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.