Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front tire a little warped, and squeeking (Read 146 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Front tire a little warped, and squeeking
07/20/09 at 04:57:37

Hello all,

I noticed last year that my front tire is a tad, wee bit warped. The wheel does not rotate straight, but has a slight wobble. I figure the previous owner did something, but I have not been concerned as I checked all the bolts to make sure wheel is on tight. Yesterday I started hearing a slight squeek  but not quite. Its definitely a rubbing sound coming from the front tire. Maybe the rotor is rubbing on the brake pads? Maybe time for new brake pads?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front tire a little warped, and squeeking
Reply #1 - 07/20/09 at 07:10:20

Jack up the front end and give the tire a spin.
A warped rotor can't be fixed.
out of true rim can be adjusted.

check the bearings, is the tire loose side to side?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/20/09 at 09:22:06

Anyone can true up a slightly out of true rim. It just takes a bit of patience. A piece of wire taped to the fork to show where the rim zigs & where it zags & then bring the points that poke out back to center using a spoke wrench. Ive never done a motorcycle rim, so maybe a crescent wrench will work, IDK, but on a 10 speed that would be too clunky.
Just be careful to not use a section of the wheel that is not on center with the hub as a reference & pull the whole rim off center. Heck, I havent looked to see if the rim IS on the centerline of the hub. Whatever they did at the factory, just gotta line it back up. For all I know, the spokes on the side the rotor is on are set up to hold the wheel toward that side, to compensate for the offset created by the rotor being there..Im gonna have to go out & check..dang.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/20/09 at 11:13:24

this got me curious as to my (cast) wheels. Im good as of now but in the case scenario I slam into a vicious pothole or something is it possible to true a cast wheel thats out of true, or does it just become a wall ornament?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/20/09 at 11:49:14

You slam into a vicous pothole that does more than stretch a spoke and you'd be better off replacing the wheel too.

Once had some aluminum ski poles, fell and bent one seriously.  Left it in the top of a vdub van and forgot about them.  Basically cause I thought they were trash.  Next ski season I found them and they were straight again   Shocked  The low level heat straighten them out.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/20/09 at 11:57:09

Spokes use either a 6mm or a 6.3 mm (aka 1/4 inch) cresent wrench.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 07/20/09 at 13:17:56

BurnPgh wrote on 07/20/09 at 11:13:24:
this got me curious as to my (cast) wheels. Im good as of now but in the case scenario I slam into a vicious pothole or something is it possible to true a cast wheel thats out of true, or does it just become a wall ornament?

Motorcycle cast wheel straightening:
http://www.rimandwheelworks.com/motorcycle.html

Note that truing to 30 thousanths isn't all that true (about the gap of a spark plug), and the best welds in aluminum are about half as strong as the original metal (unlike steel).  And the cost, $120~$150.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/20/09 at 15:16:38

Based on the info there, I wouldn't straighten an alloy wheel.

If it don't straighten itself with a low heat anneal, scrap it.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/20/09 at 15:32:30

So,

its about 100$cad to true a rim at the cheap shop I go to. There is this link on how to true a rim for a dirt bike. It takes minutes.
http://www.mxguy.com/motorcycle-maintenance/motorcycle-spoke-tightening-video...

Any thoughts? I would think that a dirtbike rim is more likely to be not true due to constant landing from heights.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/20/09 at 17:13:52

Years ago I seen a spoke torque  wrench I would guess they still have them

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 07/22/09 at 06:55:02

Try tapping each spoke with a wrench and listen to the sound that they make. You might have some loose spokes which have caused the wheel to warp. Spin the front wheel and move a marker in till it just hits the high spot on the rim. Then tweek the spokes till there isn't any high spot left. It takes some time to get a wheel to track straight.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/22/09 at 15:50:35

Ed L. wrote on 07/22/09 at 06:55:02:
Try tapping each spoke with a wrench and listen to the sound that they make. You might have some loose spokes which have caused the wheel to warp. Spin the front wheel and move a marker in till it just hits the high spot on the rim. Then tweek the spokes till there isn't any high spot left. It takes some time to get a wheel to track straight.

A felt marker, like a black marker? What is the right spot?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 07/22/09 at 16:22:01

Yea, a black majic marker works well. Loosen the spokes maybe a 1/2 turn under the spot where the marker leaves a mark and tighten the spokes 1/2 turn on the other edge of the wheel. In otherwords if the marker leaves a mark on the left side of the wheel loosen 1 or 2 spokes at the mark on the left side of the wheel then tighten 1 or 2 spokes at the same spot on the right side. It's just like tuning up a bicycle tire. Keep at it till the rim tracks straight. It will take some time to get it right. Just remember to make small adjustments.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #13 - 07/23/09 at 08:59:06

my front wheel squeaks something fierce when it is wet, fine when it is dry. not the brakes, because the sound doesn't change when i squeeze 'em.

I'd imagine that there isn't really any way to do this with the front wheel on the ground? I'll have to pull some macgyver stunts to lift that wheel up without a jack or blocks... 'course i suppose a $200 investment in a motorcycle jack would be well worth it in the long run.

but let me see if i have this alignment process correct:
1) get front wheel spinning freely
2) use a marker, and while the tire is spinning get it to just barely touch the tire
3) at the marker's mark, on the same side of the wheel, loosen one or two spokes at 1/2 turn increments and on the opposite side tighten spokes at 1/2 turns
4) wash, rise, repeat. where i literally mean rub off the markings, and spin the wheel again.

do you have to do both sides? that sounds kind of ridiculous... but should you alternate sides between spoke adjustments? mark one side, adjust, then mark the other side, adjust...?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/23/09 at 10:11:30

A $15.00 come along , a piece of rope & a tree limb will get it off the ground.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front tire a little warped, and squeeking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.