Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It doesn't get any better than this! (Read 105 times)
PTRider

It doesn't get any better than this!
07/19/09 at 22:31:46

GREAT RIDE

I rode the Sunrise Road in Mt. Rainier National Park Friday afternoon and again early Sunday morning.  The paving is better than it was when the description in the link was written--only one hard dip that compressed a spinal disc or two.   Lots of 3rd gear curves and three 2nd gear curves, tall fir trees, hillsides with wildflowers, 12,281' Mt. Adams to one side and 14,411' Mt. Rainier right in front, both potentially active volcanoes.

I just finished reading Lee Parks' TOTAL CONTROL:  High Performance Street Riding Techniques.  Great book, highly recommended.  His cornering techniques are:
--Slow before cornering
--Deep delayed apex
--Rider's body to the inside of the bike's centerline
--Look through the turn with the eyes parallel with the ground
--Use only the arm on the inside of the turn to control the handlebars
--Countersteer to start a sharp turn then ease off as the turn progresses
--Roll on the throttle through the turn

Getting the body way over to the inside of the turn before turning wasn't my usual technique, but I gave it a good try, and it allows tighter, faster cornering without dragging a peg.  By "looking through the turn" Parks means to look where you need to go, way ahead, not where you're about to go, looking over the mirror or maybe even more out to the side.  It is a bit unnerving to look as far as possible through the turn and only see the road the wheels will pass over in peripheral vision, but that, combined with the inside arm steering, makes the turns seem more powerful.  As he wrote, one has to be careful to avoid turning too tightly in the turn.

Anyway, with the new, very smooth turns and the fabulous scenery, I got into the zone...it was sublime.  My mind was 100% into the riding and mellowed way out.  I've not felt anything like that very often.  Riding, and life, doesn't get any better than this!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: It doesn't get any better than this!
Reply #1 - 07/19/09 at 23:30:29

In the zone,... it's like a meditation or something...
"I am one with the machine and the road..."    "Ohmmmmmmmmm...."

Don't remember much after that.... Huh  Just kidding.. Grin

I did get overly grooved, and crashed once though... Ninja 500 at probably 80+mph on a road no sane person would go over 55...

The leaning into the turns does seem counter-intuitive at first, it was the hardest part for me.  My lesson was from a different instructor, with slightly different guidelines, but similar.  
I don't do them much anymore, because they make me go too fast... It's actually hard to do them slow.
But I still remember the lessons learned...
Mainly,... the bike and tires are way more capable than you think, and you are more likely to go down from panic than from any fault in your machine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/20/09 at 02:51:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jb6FIzx-A  I like this guy's approach, especially on eyes.  If I'm not riding right my eyes are doing it!  Think I'm going to get his course.

The principles are the same as described above.  

This fellow's video of riding the Dragon must be nifty, too.  I know that road very very well and learned many things not to do watching folks.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/09 at 04:40:19

[quote author=1C1B04570 link=1248067906/0#0 date=1248067906]GREAT RIDE

I just finished reading Lee Parks' TOTAL CONTROL:  High Performance Street Riding Techniques.  Great book, highly recommended.  His cornering techniques are:
[td]--Slow before cornering
--Deep delayed apex
--Rider's body to the inside of the bike's centerline
--Look through the turn with the eyes parallel with the ground
--Use only the arm on the inside of the turn to control the handlebars
--Countersteer to start a sharp turn then ease off as the turn progresses
--Roll on the throttle through the turn [/td]

I thought these techniques were taught at riding school? I know that this is what I was taught and practiced the weekend I took my riding lessons last year. Oh and when or if you get drag bars for the Savage, you definitely need to start leaning into the turns more. About that FLOW you speak of. That is the point of riding. Its intense isnt it? Honestly, I would get it every morning on my commute to work. The highway here in Ottawa winds quite a bit and traffic seemed to flow well at 730am.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 07/20/09 at 07:11:19

The only riding school I've been to was the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Experienced Rider Course which was good but didn't reach very-good.  It is all slow speed maneuvers.

The police training video clearly shows the riders looking way to the side to the point where they need to go, not right in front at the pavement they're about to run over.  They make a very interesting movement where they make the little S-swerve before the low speed U-turn or circle.  That's a slow speed countersteer.  They swerve right to tip the bike to the left for a left turn.  Neat gimmick.

This video shows a Goldwing on a track!  We can see the rider lean his body to the inside before he begins his turn.  He must be a very experienced track rider to shift his butt across the seat (hang off) and drag his knee the way he does.  For curvy road riding, just leaning the shoulders way out and looking "through" the turn" does the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BKYLMx2SM

« Last Edit: 07/20/09 at 09:06:13 by PTRider »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:34:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It doesn't get any better than this!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.