Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement Seat Suggestions??? (Read 146 times)
PTRider

Replacement Seat Suggestions???
07/19/09 at 22:05:01

I've gott'a either get a new seat or a new butt.  It'll be easier to get a seat.

Any suggestions on seats that fit the human anatomy and don't cost $400 or more?  I'm thinking of buying a H-D King or Glide seat cheap (if I can find one) and trying to invent a mount.  Possible and reasonable amount of work?

Anyone bought the H-D seat kit from fltsimshop on FleaBay and can you give the details?... (I know, don't do business with that guy).

Any other ideas?  I've already tried padding the seat under the vinyl and that feels good for the first 20 minutes, then butt cramp sets in.  I need a seat that is shaped better.  I'd also like more height, but a better shape that is no lower will be great.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Replacement Seat Suggestions???
Reply #1 - 07/19/09 at 23:43:49

sportster seats work (some years) but minor fabbing is needed i believe. I think someone put a vstar 650 seat on. Springer seats are fairly common but again require minor fabbing. Theres a simple and cheap seat lift mod. Those are your already tried and apporved methods so far as maintaining or increaing seat height. Im partial to the Diamond Jim seat mod which is basically cutting down and reshaping the stcok padding and the addition of some cheap wallyworld padding. You might try the seat lift and your own personal reshaping of the stock padding to get the best results for the money involved.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/20/09 at 00:09:26

First, this is a seat from heaven compared to my last DP bike seat.

But second, I'm a creature of comfort, and here's what I did...

1. 1 1/2" seat lift.... Instructions are in the tech section
2. Reshaped the seatfoam, just a little, to flatten and slightly reduce the rear scoop...
3. Put a fake sheepskin cover over the vinyl... No kidding,... you'd be amazed at what a difference that tiny layer can make!....

My tender, boney, tush is way happier now..... Grin

Sorry,.. this is the  best seat pic I can find...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 07/20/09 at 10:19:43

I installed a Sportster seat.  Looks much better but is just as uncomfortable as the stock seat.  Butt area was still to small with the "hump" poking me in the tailbone.  Ended up with 2 of them thru a ebay bidding mistake, so I modded one.  Cut the hump out of the butt area extending the flat sitting area back to give more room.  Then I put glued high density foam (the thin blue pad stuff from wallyworld)  on the stock foam to smooth it out and give a better ride.  Much more comfortable.  No room for 2-up, but I don't do that on this bike.  Saved the unmodded HD seat for my dad who for some reason likes it better (smaller butt??).

Unless you buy a corbin sportster seat, you may end up having to mod any seat you put on it.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/20/09 at 10:21:16

I've just finished a 4th or 5th seat mod, basing it on the Diamond Jim design.  Built up the seat pan with "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation, trimmed it to the curvature of the seat pan but left it more of less level from side to side for more butt cheek support.  A few commutes later, it sill feels pretty good.  Oh yeah, and I lifted the front of the seat about 1 1/2" last year.  The sheepskin idea sounds good too.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 07/20/09 at 13:10:57

Gary On A Savage wrote on 07/20/09 at 10:19:43:
I installed a Sportster seat.  Looks much better but is just as uncomfortable as the stock seat.

I was talking with a Sportster owner who said that the first thing he did when he bought his bike was to get rid of the seat and buy one from Drag Specialties...not custom like Corbin and the rest, but much better than H-D.  Lee Parks says that stock seats are great in the showroom to help sell bikes...easy to stand up astride the bike and they feel soft, but we all know the result after a few miles or few hours.

I'm surprised at the high prices asked for used Savage seats on fleaBay.  I guess most get damaged when the bike is crashed.  I'd buy a cheap one to experiment with, but not a pricey one.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 07/20/09 at 13:22:32

PTRider wrote on 07/19/09 at 22:05:01:
Anyone bought the H-D seat kit from fltsimshop on FleaBay and can you give the details?... (I know, don't do business with that guy).

If you look closely you will see that FlightSimShop is really just selling a seat and instructions on how to convert it, instructions that you can get for free on this site.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #7 - 07/20/09 at 13:50:52

PTRider wrote on 07/20/09 at 13:10:57:
Gary On A Savage wrote on 07/20/09 at 10:19:43:
I installed a Sportster seat.  Looks much better but is just as uncomfortable as the stock seat.

I was talking with a Sportster owner who said that the first thing he did when he bought his bike was to get rid of the seat and buy one from Drag Specialties...not custom like Corbin and the rest, but much better than H-D.  Lee Parks says that stock seats are great in the showroom to help sell bikes...easy to stand up astride the bike and they feel soft, but we all know the result after a few miles or few hours.

I'm surprised at the high prices asked for used Savage seats on fleaBay.  I guess most get damaged when the bike is crashed.  I'd buy a cheap one to experiment with, but not a pricey one.

Probably a Le Pera seat from Drag Specialties.  You can find those on eBay a lot.  I bought a springed solo seat and it was as hard as a rock and not comfortable.  Some of the "full" seats look pretty good though.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/20/09 at 14:10:42

Harley has seats that you can get not cheap,but 14 1/2 wide in single seat and bucket double seats,Just look up Harley Davidson,14 1/12 is what you would need to get a comfortable seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement Seat Suggestions???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.