serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Gas Leak
Reply #16 - 07/27/09 at 08:55:20

I wish I could get some after this many years of marriage.  Wait, maybe ya'll are still talking about SeaFoam. Grin

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srdugan
YaBB Newbies

ego sum torva

Omaha, NE
Reply #17 - 07/28/09 at 10:35:27

OK, update...
Filled up my bike yesterday, added 1oz/gallon of sea foam. Ran great for about a half hour ride on the interstate. Then parked it for the night.

this morning, back to same ole gas-out-the-vent-tube-at-idle issue...
still seems to run smoother at road speeds, but sticky float (?) evidently still an issue...  :'(

IP Logged
srdugan
YaBB Newbies

ego sum torva

Omaha, NE
Reply #18 - 07/28/09 at 10:37:18

AND NOW MY SMILEY'S NOT WORKIN'...ANYTHING ELSE?!?!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 07/28/09 at 11:07:13

I'll give you something to read...while youre searching for the answer. Wink
There may be something helpful here,maybe not,but its good info.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

(And...ignore the 2 posts before yours Huh Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
srdugan
YaBB Newbies

ego sum torva

Omaha, NE
Reply #20 - 07/28/09 at 11:34:38

Thanks FreeSpirit, I appreciate the article!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 07/30/09 at 11:46:34

Let us know how your bike does!

If you've gotten the problem fixed ...or not. Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 07/30/09 at 12:06:36

SeaFoam supposedly has its roots in the marine industry where users used it to clean up carburetors from one season's storeage to the next.

It then got popular with truck drivers and other working stiffs who just needed to get their stuff running again without spending time working on it.  

Farmers (occasional use farm equipment) are big users of SeaFoam as well.   Farmers are also big internet equipment based E-group types, just like we are -- they share tips and tricks on their combines and tractors and stuff to a very large degree.  All farmers are mechanics !!

Motorcycle guys picked up on it and it works well for older multi-carb bikes as a way to avoid the "rebuilding/rebalancing" monster for as long as possible.

You CAN put in too much Seafoam and get various flavors of plug fouling related issues (I have done this and speak from first hand knowledge) as Sea Foam has various petroleum distillates in it (read this as light oils).   Too much and you are running a two strokish gas mix of oils & stuff that can foul a four cycle bike's colder plug.

People that claim SeaFoam ate their rubber carb parts likely had aged out rubber crap to begin with and all the SeaFoam really did was clean the crap off the outsides of the corroded and split rubber parts.  Too many folks have used it correctly and successfully for me to doubt it.

Read the bottle, put in the correct amount.   It does help!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
srdugan
YaBB Newbies

ego sum torva

Omaha, NE
Reply #23 - 08/06/09 at 19:03:16

Ok, update...

After all this, figured it was a stuck float due to carb gunk. Sea foam seemed to help initially, then got sticky again and spittin' gas out vent tubes. But only at idle.

Friend of mine invited me on a Sat am cruise with a group of Harleys. I figured, maybe it would burn out some of the gunk to go for a couple hour cruise at highway speeds and since it only spits at idle, cruising should be fine, right?

Wrong.

After only 65 miles I was into my reserve and once in the reserve it started to spit gas at highway speed. Ran bone dry 10 feet from gas station pump Shocked

Friend and broke off of group and returned home. Next day, I was telling some friends at church, and a guy says, "well your carb bowl has a drain plug. Just flush some gas through it and knock the crap out...here give me your key, I'll go do it for ya."

Huh

He did it. It has been running great all week. I added a couple more ounces of sea foam with tank fill today. I'll Keep checking mileage to see if there's any improvement. Any other suggestions for better gas mileage?

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/18/09 at 20:41:11

I've got the same exact problem, but I hadn't seen your post (guess I should've searched "gas leak" instead of "fuel leak"  Cheesy ).

I tried the same thing with Sea Foam.  It worked for a bit, but the problem came back.  

srdugan wrote on 08/06/09 at 19:03:16:
Next day, I was telling some friends at church, and a guy says, "well your carb bowl has a drain plug. Just flush some gas through it and knock the crap out...here give me your key, I'll go do it for ya."

Huh

He did it. It has been running great all week.

So what exactly did he do, other than remove the drain plug?

How's your bike running now?  Has the problem returned?  I'm doing everything in my power not to have to take the carburetor apart right now.  Someday, yeah, but I've got enough on my plate at the moment...

IP Logged
srdugan
YaBB Newbies

ego sum torva

Omaha, NE
Reply #25 - 08/19/09 at 10:23:08

He didn't "do" anything really, just removed the plug and let the gas flush through the carb (maybe put the petcock on "prime" position??) and hopefully carry with it some of the gunk.

Ran great for a week. After next fill and foam treatment it stuck a little again, but much less than other times. After a short ride it quit. Perhaps each time it's foamed it clears out a bit more (??). Next time it sticks, I'll try flushing thru the drain plug again.

It can't be my imagination that it's sticking/leaking less, cuz it's reflected in my gas mileage - just checked today and I'm back up to 46mpg. Would like to see better than that still, but this is much better than it was! I'm sure a full carb cleaning would improve it greatly but, i don't have time right now for full dismantle/cleaning either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:44:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.