Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The usual newbie questions... (Read 138 times)
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The usual newbie questions...
07/19/09 at 19:12:01

Okay, I'm the proud new owner of an 05 S40.  Got it off a lot; paid cash for it; and it's got some issues.

Background:  I had a Yamaha thumper, the SR500, 23 years ago.  Nice ride...too bad it died a horrible death when I caught road-rash.  It was my second, after my training ride, an RD350.

The Savage came out about the same time.  I was impressed by some things, not so much by others.

More recently...twenty years off bikes, I had - briefly - a 250 Virago.  Nice little bike...emphasis on "little."  More than enough power for me; but everything was 5/8th scale, including the shifter and footpegs.  Not a good fit.

I got, and still have, a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter...but I missed the man/machine feel.  So, flush with cash and having the summer off...I bought this S40.

1400 miles on the clock...and I'm thinking someone rolled it back.   It's clean...too clean, with new rubber.

The carb is out of whack...takes a LONG time to warm up, it seems, and even when hot it hesitates on acceleration and backfires when going through the gears.  Is this something that can be fixed with a clean-up and adjustment?  I see there's a thread here on backfires.

I'm hearing a strong gear whine on deceleration.  That normal for this machine?

And, I've got the usual front-brake squeal.  It's so loud I'd swear the pads are gone, but the rotor's not scored.  Is that something I should learn to live with?

Are there any aftermarket kits for FI, or high-performance carburetors out there?  I noticed the TU250 has FI.  Almost bought one; that's a sweet little bike; but I didn't think I'd be satisfied with that, any more than the Virago (although the controls were better laid out).

Thanks for any input.  It remains to be seen if I'm gonna be a savage for any period of time.  I like the naked-bike simplicity, but it seems to be a demanding ride.

Questions on seat mods, and others, will wait.  I'm not going to be able to tear into it until September...some traveling ahead.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The usual newbie questions...
Reply #1 - 07/19/09 at 19:18:28

That gear whine is most likely the belt. Is the muffler stock? If so, ditch that sucka & slip a Dyna , HD takeoff, on it, or splurge & get a Supertrapp. These bikes will satisfy that "man/machine" need just fine, just gotta sort them out a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/19/09 at 19:34:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/19/09 at 19:18:28:
That gear whine is most likely the belt. Is the muffler stock? If so, ditch that sucka & slip a Dyna , HD takeoff, on it, or splurge & get a Supertrapp. These bikes will satisfy that "man/machine" need just fine, just gotta sort them out a bit.

Muffler's stock, and the girl who owned it (or maybe her guy) drilled holes in the back baffle plate, probably to get some sound on the cheap.

The sound they got, was that of a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower with a rusted-out can.  With a lot of backfiring for counterpoint.  That muffler...HAS to go.

I was thinking of the Harley Sportster pipe...if I can get one cheap or free.  I like a mellow note, but I'm 51 and want it relatively QUIET.

Is the stock Harley muffler a glasspack?  Am I going to risk burned valves, by messing with the plumbing?

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #3 - 07/19/09 at 20:18:24

As long as you re-jet the carb, you will be fine with any Harley Dyna or Sportster take-off.  Just make sure you do not get a Dyna canister with a cross-over port - not good.   Get a Harley exhaust clamp and a heat shield of your choice, and it is bolt on affair more or less.  You may need an adapter pipe.....Take everything to your local exhaust shop, they should be able to set you up neatly.

Lancer sells a jet kit for the carb for about $15....

Check your rear wheel alignment and your belt tension, it shouldn't be making any noise - Harley belt dressing helps sometimes.

Enjoy your new bike....and Welcome to the Savage site. Smiley Smiley Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 07/19/09 at 20:26:06

The bike probably sat for a while, which gummed up the carb and partially clogged your jets.  That and the fact that someone drilled out your muffler means you're risking more trouble by not messing with the plumbing, because it is now running leaner than stock, which is already way too lean.  The most important things to do right now are:

1. Clean the carb (and examine the jets to make sure they are clean) A rejet would be even better.
2. Search for, and do the "white spacer" mod.
3. Pull the brass plug on the right side of the carb that covers your mixture screw.  Now you can adjust your low-speed mixture and eliminate as much backfiring as you like.

I did this stuff on my '05 and got it running right (no more gunfire, just a pleasant burble-pop now and then) even with a very unrestrictive Dyna muffler, which sounds like nothing from Briggs & Stratton by the way.  Wink  I also get a little gear whine on deceleration.. normal.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/19/09 at 20:27:09

Re-jet the carb...what do I want, it leaner?

Okay, I just saw the above.  I want RICHER jets...gotcha.

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/21/09 at 14:10:02

i'm sure this is on here a million times, but i have an 01 savage and want to put a sportster muffler on it.  what year muffler would be best?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 07/21/09 at 15:11:05

twdy wrote on 07/21/09 at 14:10:02:
i'm sure this is on here a million times, but i have an 01 savage and want to put a sportster muffler on it.  what year muffler would be best?

I don't think the year makes so much difference, the main thing as mentioned above is to not get one built for a crossover pipe.  Getting one with a sliding rail mount probably makes life easier too, although I didn't.  I did however get a short adapter pipe made with a few degrees of bend to better line up with where the stock pipe had been; plus had it fit to the stock header, and Harley muffler.  Hardest part of the process was breaking the stock hardware loose. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The usual newbie questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.