Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting really sick of it!!!!  Any pointers?!?!? (Read 214 times)
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Getting really sick of it!!!!  Any pointers?!?!?
07/17/09 at 19:00:45

Picked up the 96 model last winter.  Had the carbs rebuilt again, new plug, fresh fuel and replaced the defective starter solenoid along with a fresh battery.  Had the valves adjusted too for good measure, compression checked out ok so I'm stumped.

What happens is that its hit or miss when it comes to starting it.  Once it starts it seems to be ok...and then shuts back off.  Its intermittent but happens enough that I know I'd be a fool to drive it farther than just down the block as it will leave me stranded.  

Are there certain weak points or known issues that contribute to this problem?  Its frustrating because when it fires up it has that normal VW Beetle sound but I can't figure out why it keeps dying.  Even replaced the inline fuel filter I put in for good measure.

Any thoughts?  I'm losing my patience and dumping way too much money and wondering if I should just part this thing out.  I know once it gets running it will be a decent commuter that will save me gas and keep me out of trouble with the law (for the most part).

Thanks in advance....the more I search stickys the more I feel like I'm running into a dead end.  It used to do the ol "backfire" every so often, but since the new plug and having the carb rebuilt it seems ok.

A.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: Getting really sick of it!!!!  Any pointers?!?
Reply #1 - 07/17/09 at 19:05:35

try running it on PRI.  Sound like the petcock might be acting up.

T

If it runs fine on pri, you either need a new petcock, or the raptor petcock, or gut the petcock and go manual...

All of these are covered in the tech section.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/09 at 19:25:22

shiphteey wrote on 07/17/09 at 19:00:45:
1.What happens is that its hit or miss when it comes to starting it.  
2.Once it starts it seems to be ok...
3...and then shuts back off.  
4.Its intermittent ...

These need more 'splainin'
1. You grind and grind till you give up? or it lights right up?
2. so it starts, you rip up the neighborhood, for minutes? hours?
3. then it cuts out?  or you shut it off?
4. doesn't always cut out?

1. try starting on prime, leave it there till you quit.  remember to shut it off.
2. replace the vac line or put hose clamps on both ends.
3. running on reserve seems to help with weak petcocks.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/17/09 at 20:46:44

Is the idle set high enough? Id jack it up some till I got this sorted out.

Starting procedure..

first start of the day. 1/2 choke, dont touch the throttle,punch the GO button..

Run it on PRIme on the petcock, till you get this sorted out.

Is the gas old?

Describe that inline filter, too, okay??

If it shuts off on you, is it at a stop? Or running down the road?
Describe the event, okay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 07/17/09 at 21:26:14

Your problem could be one or more of several things.

Let's eliminate a common source of problems first with a simple test.

Crimp the petcock vacuum line.  Crimp it tightly enough so that nothing can flow through it, not even air.

Put the petcock on PRI.  If the bike runs better, that means you probably have a defective petcock.  You may still have other problems, but the bike will not run right until you deal with the defective petcock.

Happy hunting!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/09 at 21:45:26

If it sometimes does nothing at all when trying to start, and other times starts right up your kickstand kill switch may be faulty.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/17/09 at 21:49:48

Good point, keep it in neutral for starting & then, with the stand Up, if it dies when you put it in gear, the switch is no good. If the spring is crappy, then the switch can shut off the ignition, or if you accidently rest a foot on the stand..Thats how I used to make it backfire,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/18/09 at 06:49:42

Digger wrote on 07/17/09 at 21:26:14:

Crimp the petcock vacuum line.  Crimp it tightly enough so that nothing can flow through it, not even air.

Put the petcock on PRI.  If the bike runs better, that means you probably have a defective petcock.  You may still have other problems, but the bike will not run right until you deal with the defective petcock.

Happy hunting!

I swear, the petcock thing is your answer to all problems lol  Grin

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/18/09 at 06:53:25

shiphteey wrote on 07/17/09 at 19:00:45:
Picked up the 96 model last winter.  Had the carbs rebuilt again, new plug, fresh fuel and replaced the defective starter solenoid along with a fresh battery.  Had the valves adjusted too for good measure, compression checked out ok so I'm stumped.

What happens is that its hit or miss when it comes to starting it.  Once it starts it seems to be ok...and then shuts back off.  Its intermittent but happens enough that I know I'd be a fool to drive it farther than just down the block as it will leave me stranded.  

Are there certain weak points or known issues that contribute to this problem?  Its frustrating because when it fires up it has that normal VW Beetle sound but I can't figure out why it keeps dying.  Even replaced the inline fuel filter I put in for good measure.

Any thoughts?  I'm losing my patience and dumping way too much money and wondering if I should just part this thing out.  I know once it gets running it will be a decent commuter that will save me gas and keep me out of trouble with the law (for the most part).

Thanks in advance....the more I search stickys the more I feel like I'm running into a dead end.  It used to do the ol "backfire" every so often, but since the new plug and having the carb rebuilt it seems ok.

A.

I am going for checking the idle. You had the carb rebuilt last year. Was your air mixture and idle set properly. The first time I rejetted former stock carb the bike would not start without choke. Once choke was pushed in bike would die. Forgot to re-set my idle speed and iar mixture lol. Try idle and or petcock thing that bill mentioned. If he is correct you may be flooding your engine and may need an oil change as well.

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/18/09 at 09:17:27

Good news!  The mechanic was sure it was electrical as he used a stand alone fuel tank to isolate the petcock variable.  He said it probably wouldn't be worth fixing but I said lets go a little further in the diagnosis.  Traced it to a loose connection at the right switch housing.  

Just got back from test riding it....pretty fun and torquey!  Now, just gotta get the leaky fork seals fixed so I can clean off the rotor and install my new front pads!

Just wanted to pass the info along!

A.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/18/09 at 12:22:37

Darn!,...And I was so going to go for the petcock thingy....

Well, Yeah!....... it's fixed!.... Grin Enjoy!....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/18/09 at 12:32:02

Achieving a good description of the problem is required to solve a problem like this.  Otherwise we can only repeat what's worked in the past.

WWW   IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/18/09 at 12:43:34

Agreed, which is difficult to do when its intermittent.  Just glad it runs.  Gonna putt putt around the neighborhood a little...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 07/18/09 at 19:08:49

odvelasc wrote on 07/18/09 at 06:49:42:
Digger wrote on 07/17/09 at 21:26:14:

Happy hunting!

I swear, the petcock thing is your answer to all problems lol  Grin

Od,

Although it was not the culprit in this case, I'm really surprised just how often the petcock is the cause of rich running or lean cutouts.

It's happened to me, too....I'm soon to be rocking a Raptor petcock.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:27:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting really sick of it!!!!  Any pointers?!?!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.