Send Topic Print
warm up (Read 167 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
warm up
07/17/09 at 13:30:00

Is it necessary to warm the bike up before riding ,and how long should you warm it up before riding ? Thanks

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Re: warm up
Reply #1 - 07/17/09 at 13:58:35

Most of engine wear occurs when both the engine and oil are below their normal running temperature. Keeping it idling for a few minutes is not the fastest way of warming it up and gassing it hard from the start is worse. Let it idle for a few seconds and ride it gently for a few minutes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/09 at 14:22:12

I start it, put my gloves on, then ease on down the road.
Besides, if I ripped thru the neighborhood, there'd be a lynch party waiting when I got home.   Grin

edit; by the time I hit the freeway, 's warm.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/17/09 at 14:41:08

I start it, put on my helmet, get on it and put it in first gear and ride off gently.  The trip through my neighborhood constitutes "warm up" in first, second and then mostly third gear.   Oil is pumping through and all parts are fully lubed by then.  Head is warm to the touch.

Merging with traffic at the exit to my neighborhood and the following run up to full traffic speed (5th gear) ends the warm up period, after that it is just riding.

=============

Warm up applies differently in winter, especially if you do not use synthetic oil.   You are pumping much thicker more sluggish oil when it is cold outside and your warm up period may last over 5 minutes of riding before your oil and aluminum reach "normal operating temperature" ranges.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 07/17/09 at 15:39:06

Thanks,I appreciate the advice .I think I was not allowing enough time before speeding up rapidly .I may have done a little damage.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 07/18/09 at 09:24:38

rl153 wrote on 07/17/09 at 15:39:06:
Thanks,I appreciate the advice .I think I was not allowing enough time before speeding up rapidly .I may have done a little damage.

Why do you say that? Notice anything different that causes concern?

Seems like a lot of us have a little warmup ceremony. Mine starts with lighting a cigarette, choke 1/2 out depending on the temperature (winter is full out), fire it up and put on helmet and gloves. Push choke in a click after 5 seconds or so, then all the way in and start giving her a little throttle. Have couple of drags left on my smoke when I kick it into gear. 25 mph speed limit out of town and I'm the 40 mph roads in a few minutes. No fear opening her up at that time.

FSO
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 07/18/09 at 09:29:11

i wasn't warming her up properly in the beginning and she'd kinda "stutter" a little bit. now i do a little choke, put my gloves on, put choke in, jacket and helmet then get on. 15mph through neighborhood for about a minute, then i'm sure she's good cuz she's breathing fire by the time i get to lake worth road!!!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/18/09 at 13:35:20

I don't think you were doing any damage, it just didn't like the extra throttle so early.

This happens all the time in the winter -- it is just the bike saying "Hey dude, I ain't warmed up yet".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 07/19/09 at 09:37:12

lol don't u love how she tells u what's wrong?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 07/20/09 at 09:03:44

Yep, an easy run is the best way to warm any bike, car, or truck.

Use the choke anytime it is cold (or cool) enough to run smoother with the choke all the way or half way out.  No problem doing it.  I pick a certain stop sign going from the house and push it back in as soon as I've passed that sign.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › warm up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.