Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: oil leak ? WITH PICS!!
Reply #15 - 07/18/09 at 19:18:06

ralfyguy wrote on 07/18/09 at 12:40:48:
....BUT if I look a little closer at your pic, it seems to me, that the oil comes from the area where the infamous oil plug resides/leaks, from higher up. So I dunno if that is your problem. I would clean up the area entirely first and then ride and observe where it comes from. Use some degreaser to spray it down.

What Ralf said.

I'd clean it up good....the entire area.

Then, I'd take the bike for about a 20-25 mile toot.

Then, I'd let it cool down.

Then, I'd touch the bottom of that stud to see if it is wet with oil.

If it was wet, I'd remove the nut and clean the nut and the stud up real well.  I'd also clean the area where the nut contacts the engine cooling fin.

Then, I'd smudge a bit of Permatex Ultra Copper or Ultra Gray on the threads and the contact face of the nut.

Then, I'd torque the nut to about 10 ft-lbs (carefully!) and ride.  The oil leak should be stopped.

If the stud had no oil on it at the end of the ride, I'd suspect the rubber plug of leakage.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: oil leak ?
Reply #16 - 07/18/09 at 22:55:57

i bought degreaser! so i'll clean it up nice and follow the steps! lol

the best i could find(walmart 1am lol) was permatex threadlocker, blue. it says service removable and can be used on valve cover, water pumps, and oil pan bolts. can i use this?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 07/19/09 at 18:38:08

Rocco wrote on 07/18/09 at 22:55:57:
i bought degreaser! so i'll clean it up nice and follow the steps! lol

the best i could find(walmart 1am lol) was permatex threadlocker, blue. it says service removable and can be used on valve cover, water pumps, and oil pan bolts. can i use this?

I'd use it on mine.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 07/20/09 at 07:59:54

sounds goood! if it is the infamous "plug leak" i'll monitor to see how bad it is, if it's that bad i'll get my mechanic friend to help me out. gotta learn eventually!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil leak ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.