Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Equipment to carry stuff w/o spending a fortune (Read 667 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Equipment to carry stuff w/o spending a fortune
07/15/09 at 05:04:12

I got the 650 as a utility machine.  I need to carry things.  I splurged on a tank bag, but really can't go first class super expensive on other things.  Stopped by the biker supply shock.  The saddle bags were a bit long considering the rear turn signal lights.  The passenger seat bag was too long at 14" and expensive.  The sissy bar bags seem to require a rack, which seems expensive.  On the front end, I suspect a little tool bag on the fork would be good.  There's room between the bars and the windshield.  I can lash little stuff sacks on the bike, but that's not for every day.

I think I need to know a brand & model of utility saddlebags that will actually work well.  And maybe a passenger seat bag, although with saddle bags I can lash something cross wise.

suggestions with brands & models?

Thanks!!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Re: Equipment to carry stuff w/o spending a fortun
Reply #1 - 07/15/09 at 07:37:56

My best passenger seat pack is a decent hicking backpack, with so many zippers and pouches and whatnot I can store a lot of stuff. Just fill it up and bungie it to the backrest resting on the seat. Made it over a thousand miles to Americade this year without tipping, with full camping gear (even a fishing pole) in tow.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/15/09 at 07:51:41

So saddlebags haven't proven to be useful?  

I need some way to carry permanent equipment.  I'm out in the boonies, so I need tire irons, lube, tube & patch kid, a bottle of oil, key tools, sunscreen, water bottles, rain gear.  All the time. I was thinking a fork bag for tools, find or make a windshield bag for maps and the like.  Saddlebags for the usual stuff that I don't need to take inside anywhere.  I'm not worried about theft, just about having the stuff required to keep going.  And having room for a couple of bags of groceries.

My bicycle (the commuter) I equipped with two open top bags that I can just drop things into.  I have a rack trunk, too, or can lash junk on the rack.  And a front rack with bags as well, if I need them.  A handlebar bag.  Seems really odd that I can easily carry stuff on a bicycle, but am more stumped on a motorbike!

I'll try out the various packs I have on the seat.  So far none really fit neatly.  I'd like things to look nice.  Less hassles for being an undesirable that way.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/15/09 at 08:00:19

I've got large saddlebags on my bike, and I use them constantly. One is left empty for hauling around random day-to-day cargo and/or extra layers and the other has oil, rope, tools, rags, and documentation on it.

Anything larger I need to carry I have to plan for and take a backpack, which is what I do when I get groceries. between the two bags and my backpack I'm able to carry a decently full cart of groceries the short (< 1 mile) from the store home, though it really isn't that comfortable and requires some ingenuity in packing...

Even though saddlebags are pricey, I think they are well worth it.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 07/15/09 at 11:14:10

There are some older threads here about using .30 or .50 caliber ammo cans for saddle bags.  They're usually pretty cheap on eBay or at a local flea market.  There are also people who've modified an Igloo cooler to attach to the back seat.

Do a search for "hard saddlebags" and make sure you change the search criteria to "(all posts)" and have at it.

I'm planning on installing Mutazu's LN saddle bags http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard%20Saddlebags&product_id...this winter, but they'd be about $170 for the bags and brackets.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #5 - 07/16/09 at 07:43:04

Just Use it like a truck

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/16/09 at 08:15:02

I have a gym bag with a piece of 1/8th ply sewn under the bottom & another glued inside & a block glued up under it all to help w/ the tie job. A couple of small D rings sewn up front & its ON there. With a long bungee & a piece of parachute cord I can get a double pass across a load. It will haul a 12 pack & some groceries easy enough. Cost? Dang near NUthin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/16/09 at 09:19:15

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/15/09 at 11:14:10:
I'm planning on installing Mutazu's LN saddle bags http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard%20Saddlebags&product_id...this winter, but they'd be about $170 for the bags and brackets.

According to what I'm reading on that site, it's $115 for the bags, $29 for the brackets, and shipping is "free" (credited back).  $144 total.
Did I miss something somewhere?  Huh

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 07/16/09 at 09:25:05

voldigicam wrote on 07/15/09 at 05:04:12:
 The saddle bags were a bit long considering the rear turn signal lights.

Most of us just re-locate the turn signals. There are several threads about doing it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 07/16/09 at 11:05:22

youzguyz wrote on 07/16/09 at 09:19:15:
sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/15/09 at 11:14:10:

According to what I'm reading on that site, it's $115 for the bags, $29 for the brackets, and shipping is "free" (credited back).  $144 total.
Did I miss something somewhere?  Huh

Yeah, I shouldn't try to add in my head.  Huh

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #10 - 07/16/09 at 15:53:34

Put hhese on my bike. A bit tight but they do work pretty well. The turn signals are not blocked.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Saddlebags/Waterproof-Slant-Eagle-Braid....

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 07/16/09 at 17:23:04

kel30734 wrote on 07/16/09 at 07:43:04:

Kel, you got any upclose and personal pictures of that rack?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 07/16/09 at 17:36:39

JC Whitney makes a medium size saddle bag with slant sides. My '02 came with them and they are handy enough, right side for the bike, left side for the rider. I was thinking about strapping a 5 gallon bucket on the back of my ride for more capacity on shopping trips. If I got one with a snap on lid it would be waterproof.  Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/16/09 at 20:45:07

I have a 1954 Lucerne milk crate I am planning on putting on the back one day. A piece of aluminum for a lid, not a flat one, but a tall one, so stuff can poke up outta the milk crate a few inches & the lid still close. I gotta build a break so I can bend the edges. Some day, when I get all caught up,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 07/17/09 at 05:44:55

My bags are mounting in FRONT of the rear turn signals. They are OVER the seat on purpose so I can whip them off quickly, and so they ride higher away from the wheels (dirt catchers).

I wish I had been able to try the slant-style waterproof bags before purchasing the ones I have now (Jarfum).  They are leather with decorative stitching. Well guess what? The stitching put HOLES in the bags, so they leak when it rains. DUH. Tongue

But they work for now. One is always loaded with repair gear, tools, baseball cap, small towel, plastic bag, cargo net, safety vest. The other empty for daily use of purse, files, mail, keys, etc.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Equipment to carry stuff w/o spending a fortune

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.