Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
they didn't make belts back then aahahah (Read 412 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
they didn't make belts back then aahahah
07/14/09 at 11:41:16

so i shot over to advance auto to get some oil...and i also replaced those horrible orange reflectors near the handle bars with some sweet red ones..but anyway i'm coming out and there's this guy walking around checking out my bike.
"was it hard to convert to belt drive?" asked the man

"no it came like that" i replied

"yeah but they didn't make belts in the late 70's early 80's..."

"it's a '95"

his jaw fell open....even more so when i told him it was a suzuki!! i'd say that's a step in the right direction!

my friend just gave me this little luggage holder "tray" thing and i may cut my fender a little and mount the light and license plate on it....

geeeze...i've got the sickness pretty bad huh?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: they didn't make belts back then aahahah
Reply #1 - 07/14/09 at 11:46:59

Rocco wrote on 07/14/09 at 11:41:16:
so i shot over to advance auto to get some oil...and i also replaced those horrible orange reflectors near the handle bars with some sweet red ones..but anyway i'm coming out and there's this guy walking around checking out my bike.
"was it hard to convert to belt drive?" asked the man

"no it came like that" i replied

"yeah but they didn't make belts in the late 70's early 80's..."

"it's a '95"

his jaw fell open....even more so when i told him it was a suzuki!! i'd say that's a step in the right direction!

my friend just gave me this little luggage holder "tray" thing and i may cut my fender a little and mount the light and license plate on it....

geeeze...i've got the sickness pretty bad huh?

Welcome to the Is that an old (place usual brand name here) club.

I have had people think the FireLizard was an old Triumph and just yesterday my oldest brother came by with some friends and one them asked me. "Is that a Harley?" My inevitable answer was. "No, this one actually runs." You should have seen the look on his face as he tried to figure that one out. My brother and the other friend that was with him just started busting up laughing.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 07/14/09 at 12:02:28

yonuh, you're the man! that is classic! and i think i'm becoming a full member of that club as well! fine by me, i like a little curiousity amongst others lol

i love when they ask if it's a 250cc and i tell them it's a 650....then when she roars they look shocked....just cuz we're small doesn't mean we won't get ya!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/14/09 at 13:53:53

I pulled into the rock store one sunday (m/c hangout) lookin' for a spot to park.  And I was inspected... squinted so hard I thought his nose was gonna pop!  And you could read his lips... big ass single... 'cuz me, no parking gotta go  Smiley  wait... hey bob, wat was that? tain't a harley.

WWW   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/14/09 at 14:15:58

I find I have an odd desire to get Harley medallions, cut them in half, and mount 1/2 Harley identifiers on my black 650.  I think folks would get the joke - the bike seems to get double takes here.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/14/09 at 15:33:34

Who was it that painted old obsolete made-up Brit bike logo on his tank, sounded like velocette but was kinda brit like instead ....

I liked that, and it is true we have the most modern ancient single that exists.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 07/14/09 at 16:17:13

You might not care, but the Federal standards call for amber reflectors on the front, not red ones.

If the guy was talking about toothed belt drive, the LS650 first hit the streets in the US in about 1985 with the toothed belt. I think Kawasaki had one earlier, some 305 cc model. If he just said "belt drive" some of the very earliest motorcycles, pre WWI, were belt driven.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/14/09 at 16:59:17

1980 Kawasaki LTD440... I think..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/14/09 at 17:40:20

Been asked if its a bsa before.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 07/14/09 at 17:42:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/14/09 at 15:33:34:
Who was it that painted old obsolete made-up Brit bike logo on his tank, sounded like velocette but was kinda brit like instead ....

Phelonious' Wembley Vickers 650

I heard that we was getting out of the rehab center and going home last weekend.  He tried to put a 6'5" suppository into a doe.  (Phelonius is 6'5" tall.)

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 07/14/09 at 18:45:24

i'm not too worried about the reflectors as some bikes don't have em!! if they want to nit pick i'll laugh lol

and i just thought it was odd that he thought it was much older then she is....my friend who rides laughed and told me i shoulda told him not to strain his brain too hard!! lol

and i love the half harley logo idea....very sweet!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/14/09 at 20:18:04

I had someone ask if I was riding a Harley so I told them yes and then said that I was cruising down the interstate and one jug fell plum the h*** off. I never could find the pieces.  Grin I get a lot of people that can't believe that the Savage/S40 is a 650.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 07/14/09 at 21:42:13

haahahaha i love it because most people think they never made a single bigger then 500cc's....we prove them wrong as we thump along!!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 07/15/09 at 00:35:50

Kawi had a belt drive on their LTD250's in the early 80's as well as LTD440 ... was an option I think ... the 440's belt drive system eventually made it over to the EN500 Vulcan in it's early years, later to be replaced by a chain drive ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #14 - 07/15/09 at 04:10:35

First belt Shovels were introduced about '82 or '83, LTD454 was introduced in 1985.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › they didn't make belts back then aahahah

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.