Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Dyna Beads
Reply #15 - 08/03/09 at 17:05:01

Just mentally try to picture what's happening with the beads, if you do a emergency stop and quick turn...

ever try to control a spinning gyroscope?...

I'm sure the actual effect is much smaller, but.... I don't need that kind of help...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/03/09 at 18:49:26

Sometimes the strongest opinions are held by those with purely thought experience.  What's a front wheel weigh?  Add 1 oz of beads, how's that going to impact the gyroscope!!  Not much, if any.

I got a new front tire.  Pulled off the weights.  Mounted the heavy spot of the rim against the light spot of the tire.  I rode the tire unbalanced up to 60 something.  Clearly had a bit of a wonk, not a great deal.  Couldn't tell much at all until 35. Tires are pretty good.

Popped in 1 oz of dyna beads.  No difference from takeoff.  There's no thump thump of the beads.  They must distribute pretty quickly.  And the bike is dead smooth (at least as smooth as these things get) at speed.

As far as thought experiments go, I find the concept of a dynamic balance that works around the entire wheel much more appealing than a fixed approximate balance by a lump of lead.  Static balance isn't all that hot a thing.  

I'm pleased enough that I'm going to pop some in my rear wheel, too.  I think I might have a little residual stuff going on there.

Oh, and I'll pop the stuff into my truck tires, too.  That will be a good test. They've worn to imbalance.  Should have a pretty good idea of effectiveness once I do those installations.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/03/09 at 19:06:11

voldigicam wrote on 08/03/09 at 18:49:26:
Sometimes the strongest opinions are held by those with purely thought experience.

and some people have "real world" experience of improved performance and gas mileage, by taping a magnet to the fuel line... or running helium in their tires, or removing their radio antenna....... etc...

I'll start using it, when tire manufacturers start recommending it, instead of voiding warranties... not that tire warranties matter that much, but if you had an issue, legally, they would use that against you.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/03/09 at 19:31:02

Dynabead use voids warranties?  Example?

I can actually ride vehicles and feel what's going on.  I can see debates over subtle effects.  But just about anyone can feel an out of balance tire (even slightly out) and tell when that out of balance is resolved.

The beads make perfect sense from a theoretical standpoint.  

A key problem is that people tend to like things they've purchased.  And promote those things.  And vice versa - ding the things they haven't purchased or have decided not to.  

What specific problems do those who have tried and don't like dynabeads point to?  

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #19 - 08/03/09 at 19:47:05

Quote:
I'll pop the stuff into my truck tires, too.
They should work well in oversized floatation tires.  They do not work well in the very low profile wide tires.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/03/09 at 20:18:30

Serowbot wrote on 08/03/09 at 19:06:11:
voldigicam wrote on 08/03/09 at 18:49:26:
Sometimes the strongest opinions are held by those with purely thought experience.

and some people have "real world" experience of improved performance and gas mileage, by taping a magnet to the fuel line... or running helium in their tires, or removing their radio antenna....... etc...

I'll start using it, when tire manufacturers start recommending it, instead of voiding warranties... not that tire warranties matter that much, but if you had an issue, legally, they would use that against you.

I must agree.  Car manufacturers do everything they can to save pennies on every car they make.  Lead weights are expensive because lead is classified as a hazardous material , and a variety expensive safety precautions are required in its manufacture. Used lead wheel weights are expensive to dispose of as they are classified as a hazardous waste, in many states, requiring strictly controlled disposal methods, at serious cost to the tire shops.

If Dyna beads worked all the time, then the car manufacturers would have long since bought the patent, or at least licensed their use.  Also, anything that worked that well would have made the news media by now, as the beads would eliminate a serious environmental problem  (manufacture and disposal of toxic hazardous material and then waste, lead weights).  If they always worked reliably, consumers would have known about this for some time now, via the media.

Search the net, and you will find consumers stating pro and con opinions, based on their practical experience with the beads.  This product does not work well for everyone, which is probably why Detroit won't use it, why tire manufacturers void your warranty (buy a set of new tires and refuse to let the store balance them because you intend to use the beads, and watch what they say to you), and why it hasn't caught on big time with the motoring public.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #21 - 08/03/09 at 20:39:26

Here's info from a competitor to Dynabeads, Centrimatic:
http://www.centramatic.com/testimonial.html

As said above, the balancing beads don't work in low profile tires that are found on just about every car.  Lead weights are cheaper than the beads, at least at retail.  The Centrimatic type balancer is much more expensive than lead weights.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/04/09 at 03:52:59

I can see the beads having a difficult time on low profile tires.  I haven't had any vehicles with low profile tires!

Would be interesting to see some real testing.  

As to manufacturers not installing innovative things - well, that's not uncommon!

Unlike magnets on fuel lines and so on, there's actual physical principles behind things like dynabeads.  

If the things don't work, then I can't see this happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

I can certainly see them working in light narrow tires and not in wide flat.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
ODSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/04/09 at 09:36:03

To answer your question bill67 I installed the beads when I changed to new tires and tubes but I did remove lead weights I had on the rim.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Beads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.