Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Torquing the clutch spring bolts = "snap" (Read 182 times)
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Torquing the clutch spring bolts = "snap"
07/12/09 at 15:14:22

I was reinstalling the clutch today and got all the way up to the part where I'm supposed to torque the clutch spring bolts to 8-10 ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to the specified torque value, tested it in my vise to be sure it would click with very little pull then proceeded to do the clutch spring bolts. I had already tightened them down snug with a socket using a criss-cross pattern. I went about a quarter turn on each then moved to the next one in the pattern. I kept going around like this thinking they weren't tightening up like they should when one suddenly got real easy to turn. Another quarter turn on it and the head snapped clean off. I removed the other three and they were all stressed beyond usability and there were bits of aluminum in the threads.

I've got four more bolts on order as well as a new pressure plate (about $41 total from Ron Ayers) but I'm wondering what I did wrong here? Could the parts have already been stressed so that they were unable to take any torque? Maybe I didn't do something right? Maybe my torque wrench lied to me? I just don't know.

All thoughts welcome.

IP Logged
PTRider

Re: Torquing the clutch spring bolts = "snap"
Reply #1 - 07/13/09 at 07:13:57

Thoughts---

---The torque spec was for dry threads and these were lubed.
---The bolts were already fatigued from use.
---The torque wrench was out of calibration.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/13/09 at 08:27:21

PTRider wrote on 07/13/09 at 07:13:57:
Thoughts---

---The torque spec was for dry threads and these were lubed.
---The bolts were already fatigued from use.
---The torque wrench was out of calibration.

---the old "nuts happens" happened.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 07/13/09 at 09:21:50

Yeah, stuff happens. But, all four bolts felt about the same as I was trying to torque them down. The one that snapped was just the first in my opinion. I'm sure all four would have snapped had I kept going.

I have new parts on the way but I would really like to understand what happened before I destroy another $40 worth of parts.

I'm going to get a 1/4" drive torque wrench so I can be a little less muscley even though my 1/2 drive torque wrench has been working fine for several years. (It matches my 1/2" drive beam-type wrench within 5 lbs or so at the mid-range.)

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 07/13/09 at 09:31:13

KenGLong wrote on 07/13/09 at 09:21:50:
Yeah, stuff happens. But, all four bolts felt about the same as I was trying to torque them down. The one that snapped was just the first in my opinion. I'm sure all four would have snapped had I kept going.

I have new parts on the way but I would really like to understand what happened before I destroy another $40 worth of parts.

I'm going to get a 1/4" drive torque wrench so I can be a little less muscley even though my 1/2 drive torque wrench has been working fine for several years. (It matches my 1/2" drive beam-type wrench within 5 lbs or so at the mid-range.)

It sounds like you did each bolt more than once?  If so, why?  Was the wrench not indicating the proper level was reached?  Does it have a meter or an arm or does it just click loose when the setting is reached?

I'm thinking your wrench didn't work right, and you shouldn't have to do each nut more than once, IMO.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 07/13/09 at 09:32:46

(It matches my 1/2" drive beam-type wrench within 5 lbs or so at the mid-range.)

Ah, there's a good clue right there.  A lot of torque wrenches are very accurate in the middle of their range, but not accurate at all in the top or bottom 20%.  Your 1/2" drive torque wrench probably goes to what, 200 ft-lbs?  It sounds like you are on the right track buying a smaller torque wrench for low torques.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/13/09 at 09:42:56

Yea, theres the problem. I would just use my "best Guess" before Id use a 1/2" torque wrench at 10 pounds. They arent usable at that setting, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #7 - 07/13/09 at 11:47:34

My bad, I was using a 3/8" clicker to torque the clutch spring bolts. Still, 8-10 ft-lbs is at the very bottom of it's scale. Funny, I had just used it to do the head cover bolts and it worked just fine for those. Only difference was the orientation of the wrench. It was horizontal for the head cover bolts and vertical for the clutch bolts.

Bummer, Harbor Freight is all out of 1/4" drive torque wrenches. Won't have any more for a couple weeks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/14/09 at 01:12:00

So, since its vertical, you could hang a 5 pound weight on a 2 foot long tool, or 10 pounds on a 1 footer & get on the road. Or, just use your torque elbow & take a run at it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/14/09 at 02:30:17

I use my calibrated hand from all but the most critical of bolts.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #10 - 07/14/09 at 04:20:47

me too.  Our bikes have such low torques that other than head bolts, I use my calirated hand for most jobs.  10 ft-lbs ain't much Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #11 - 07/14/09 at 05:48:21

The SSM calls for a specific torque value on these bolts. I figure it's to ensure all four are tightened down about the same  to prevent warping the pressure plate.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/14/09 at 08:46:57

Then, summon all your knowledge & prepare all 4 the same & carefully work them down.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #13 - 07/14/09 at 14:27:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/09 at 08:46:57:
Then, summon all your knowledge & prepare all 4 the same & carefully work them down.

[grin] That's what I did!

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #14 - 07/22/09 at 17:09:10

The new parts arrived today and I did a test assembly on the bench to practice. The four new bolts went down just fine and compressed the springs down until the bolts bottomed out in the studs just like they are supposed to.

I can only assume that the old bolts were stressed and combined with a torque wrench that was too big for the job, gave way. As soon as my 1/4" torque wrench gets here, I'll finally have this bike back on the road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torquing the clutch spring bolts = "snap"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.