Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chemically Stripping Old Silicone Gasket Residue (Read 67 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Chemically Stripping Old Silicone Gasket Residue
07/10/09 at 20:27:50

What do ya'll use for stripping old silicone gasket residue from engine parts (e.g. the cylinder head cover mating surfaces)?

I tried to source some Permatex Silicone Stripper locally, but nobody carries it and most people I talked to think it's been dropped from Permatex's product line.

Ideas?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Chemically Stripping Old Silicone Gasket Resid
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 20:44:05

You can still get the Permatex stuff off Amazon here but if you don't want to order anything, there's also mineral spirits or caulk remover from  Home Depot, and oven cleaner is also rumoured to work.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 07/11/09 at 06:46:16

Oven-cleaner etches aluminum like our blocks so I would avoid it unless nothing else worked.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 07/11/09 at 09:27:51

Agreed. Etching may or may not help with the bonding of the new gasket, and if it made the bond worse, it would take a lot of work to buff the etch off.  So the oven cleaner is best left as a last resort.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 07/11/09 at 19:58:32

Some good ideas and information.

I tried some different things today I already had in the garage.

Coleman fuel (white gas) works OK, as does brake cleaner spray.  You need a little elbow grease the get all of the silicone residue off, but I'd rather work a little than have another product in my garage that goes bad before I can use all of it.

Thanks for the answers!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/13/09 at 18:53:11

Final update:

I found some Permatex® Silicone Stripper Gasket Remover locally.  (Here's the TDS.)

It is easy to use and did not seem that caustic.  I used it and followed up with some brake cleaner spray and it looks as if all traces of the silicone gasket sealant (Permatex Ultra Copper) I used last time are gone.  It cost less than $6.00, so I can recommend it (if you can find it).

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #6 - 07/14/09 at 13:33:48

Digger wrote on 07/11/09 at 19:58:32:
Some good ideas and information.

I tried some different things today I already had in the garage.

Coleman fuel (white gas) works OK, as does brake cleaner spray.  You need a little elbow grease the get all of the silicone residue off, but I'd rather work a little than have another product in my garage that goes bad before I can use all of it.

Thanks for the answers!

I have the same greasy elbow, but I used isoproply alcohol (rubbing alcohol 99.9% pure) it's probably not as good as the silicone remover, but a little work and my head cover was clean. You can get the 92 or 95% stuff at most drugstores.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 07/15/09 at 11:02:45

I'm pretty sure there's some "silicone strippers" at our local gentlemen's club. Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:23:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chemically Stripping Old Silicone Gasket Residue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.