Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Plastic Gasket Scrapers (Read 191 times)
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Re: Plastic Gasket Scrapers
Reply #15 - 05/26/10 at 18:02:47

MEK--methyl ethyl keytone will dissolve just about any adhesive. Just spray in on with a squirt bottle, wait a minute and you should be able to push your old gasket off with a credit card. You can buy it at Home Depot by the qt.-gal. in the paint department. Watch breathing the fumes.

Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 06/17/10 at 21:38:17

Max_Morley wrote on 05/26/10 at 14:59:50:
I believe Permatex makes a spray that dissolves gasket material and it then wipes off easily w/o any danger of damaging the gasket surface. Look in that section of a auto parts and supply store. Max

Here is the aerosol stuff:

Permatex® Low VOC Gasket Remover

I've had good luck with this stuff on solvent-based gasket sealants.  It is not formulated to work on silicone-based gasket sealants.

For removing silicone-based gasket sealants, I use:

Permatex® Silicone Stripper Gasket Remover

This stuff works OK, but requires two or more applications and, even then, you'll still need to do some scraping.  Also, it is now getting hard to find (Permatex may have discontinued it, I'm not sure).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 06/17/10 at 21:39:54

marine5317 wrote on 05/26/10 at 18:02:47:
MEK--methyl ethyl keytone will dissolve just about any adhesive. Just spray in on with a squirt bottle, wait a minute and you should be able to push your old gasket off with a credit card. You can buy it at Home Depot by the qt.-gal. in the paint department. Watch breathing the fumes.

Ride Safe
                                                                       Marine5317

Good tip!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/17/10 at 21:41:47

Silicone Stripper
(Permatex may have discontinued it, I'm not sure

Im pretty sure Ive seen some downtown..recently, Pretty sure one of 'ems name was Mandy. Not discontinued.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plastic Gasket Scrapers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.