Bike won't start... (Read 79 times)
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Bike won't start...
07/10/09 at 15:55:45

ok so, my bike broke down last week... it just died in the middle of the road... I figured I ran out of gas... so I switched to reserves and still wouldn't start... so I pushed it home... when I got it home, I tried to start it again, and it made clicking sound, kinda like a car with a dead battery... so I figured that I would jump it off of my truck battery...  Now, I knew that you aren't supposed to start the car battery when jumping it... but! what I did do is hooked up some alligator clips from my trickle charger to the charger connections already on the battery... this switched the terminal colors, and so I ended up hooking the batteries in series... big puff of smoke and sparks everywhere...
so the next day, I took out the battery and through inspection found that the charger wires were burnt up like a fuse... so I replaced the battery... charged it and everything...
Now here I am with a charged battery that will turn the starter just like normal, except there is absolutely not ignition...
there are puffs of air coming out of the exhaust when I try to start it, so I figure that means the cam is turning and the piston is pumping...
I took out the spark plug and did the test on it, and I saw sparks but not a "fat blue spark" like the repair manual says to look for...
there is gas in the carb, and there is air flowing...
I'm thinking that there is a problem with the ignition coil, but I am betting that there are more problems  than just that...

So, I am just asking to see if there is anyone out there like me that hooked up a car backwards, and just what electrical components might have been affected...

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Bike won't start...
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 16:49:55

I would start by seeing if you have spark at the spark plug. If yes then its fuel issues. after what you described pray is is a feul problem as you may have fried some components by goofing up the battery connections when you boosted her. Smoke is a very bad sign

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/11/09 at 06:54:31

UCFS40RIDER wrote on 07/10/09 at 15:55:45:
ok so, my bike broke down last week... it just died in the middle of the road... I figured I ran out of gas... so I switched to reserves and still wouldn't start... so I pushed it home... when I got it home, I tried to start it again, and it made clicking sound, kinda like a car with a dead battery... so I figured that I would jump it off of my truck battery...  Now, I knew that you aren't supposed to start the car battery when jumping it... but! what I did do is hooked up some alligator clips from my trickle charger to the charger connections already on the battery... this switched the terminal colors, and so I ended up hooking the batteries in series... big puff of smoke and sparks everywhere...
so the next day, I took out the battery and through inspection found that the charger wires were burnt up like a fuse... so I replaced the battery... charged it and everything...
Now here I am with a charged battery that will turn the starter just like normal, except there is absolutely not ignition...
there are puffs of air coming out of the exhaust when I try to start it, so I figure that means the cam is turning and the piston is pumping...
I took out the spark plug and did the test on it, and I saw sparks but not a "fat blue spark" like the repair manual says to look for...
I'm thinking that there is a problem with the ignition coil, but I am betting that there are more problems  than just that...

So, I am just asking to see if there is anyone out there like me that hooked up a car backwards, and just what electrical components might have been affected...

CAll a mechanic, they may be able to tell what it might be. they may also think you are bringin it in to them so they may be more apt to give you some possible clues but no definite answers.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 07/12/09 at 21:47:27

UCFS40RIDER wrote on 07/10/09 at 15:55:45:

I would try jumping it off the cage battery again.....being very careful to get the connections right.

If no workee, then you will have to start the electrical troubleshooting process.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/13/09 at 09:09:03

The ig circuit is voltage sensitive.  If you don't have 12v to start with, it's not going to start on the battery alone.  Cage jump it or push start.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:25:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.