Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
T Mack's Rubber Plug Spring (Read 99 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
T Mack's Rubber Plug Spring
07/10/09 at 10:37:35

T Mack,

A while back, you posted that you'd placed a spring over over the top of the rubber plug that sits in the top part of the cylinder head, presumably to prevent an oil leak.

Could you go into more detail?  What size was the spring?  Is it still working?  Any pics?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: T Mack's Rubber Plug Spring
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 11:52:57

You could just buy the new rubber solid plug.
Or look in HD/Lowes for rubber plugs in approximately that same OD. They are tapered, so for sure some will fit it.
The thing about using a spring - if it ever comes loose, you have a chunk of metal inside the cyl head now.
The new plug works by being solid, and the head cover sits down over 1/2 of it, not allowing it to get loose and out, like the hollow one did.
I'd do a stock suzuki part over most anythign else. You could put a spring in there and encase it in silicone - like a gob of it in there making the spring into a solid silicone glob.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/15/09 at 10:02:17

Finally got on line.  Sorry Digger it took so long to reply to your PM.

Here's my response to Digger.
Quote:
Quote:

Digger wrote on 07/10/09 at 13:38:53:
T Mack,

A while back, you posted that you'd placed a spring over over the top of the rubber plug that sits in the top part of the cylinder head, presumably to prevent an oil leak.

Could you go into more detail?  What size was the spring?  Is it still working?  Any pics?

TIA!

Hi Digger,
   So far no leaks.  The idea is that the spring will keep some pressure on the plug so that it does not vibrate out with age.   For the size,  I pulled it out of my stash.  Yea, as a trained technician, I've amassed  jars of things that I thought might be useful.  The spring jar has been one of the better jars.  It's now a large skippy peanut butter jar.

The spring I used was  a conical shaped spring that was not too stiff.  The large part of the cone up, and the smaller part down with the screw & very small washer thru it.  It was only about a half inch tall.   Not much space once the head cover is on.  I secured it to the plug with a small #6 machine screw.  Scary part is that I drilled all the thru the plug so that I could put a lock nut on the other side.    I used the smallest bit I have (1/16 inch?) and then used High temp Permatex Ultra Copper to seal it.   Since the screw was a tight fit, and I sealed under the washer, it should be good for a long time.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 07/16/09 at 21:20:57

T,

Thanks.

I'll check my spring supply bin and see if I have any good candidates.

Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:16:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › T Mack's Rubber Plug Spring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.