Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rubbing left saddlebag support (Read 77 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
rubbing left saddlebag support
07/09/09 at 20:47:37

I have an oversized back tire a 140 90 15 on my Savage and did have a previous problem with scoring of the tire but I put on OEM saddle bag supports and  ground down the questionable bolt head which fixed the problem but gave me another problem in that the edge flange of the left hand support rubs against the tire when I have a passenger on.  I think that I could grind down the flange to give clearance or try putting it on the outside of the fender.  Anyone else run into this problem and if so how did the solve it?
DocNeedles

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: rubbing left saddlebag support
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 03:34:55

Mushroom head allen bolts improve the situation?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #2 - 07/10/09 at 07:28:49

PerrydaSavage wrote on 07/10/09 at 03:34:55:

That would not solve the problem since it is the edge of the saddlebag support which is rubbing against the tire when I have a passenger on.  The support part that comes down on the inside of the fender before it moves externally.  The tire and the back support (it is only the rear support) rubs and is glazing the tire.  It must be just ouching since I don't smell any rubber.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/09 at 07:55:35

DocNeedles wrote on 07/10/09 at 07:28:49:
PerrydaSavage wrote on 07/10/09 at 03:34:55:

That would not solve the problem since it is the edge of the saddlebag support which is rubbing against the tire when I have a passenger on.  The support part that comes down on the inside of the fender before it moves externally.  The tire and the back support (it is only the rear support) rubs and is glazing the tire.  It must be just ouching since I don't smell any rubber.
DocNeedles

Message seviersavage. He will make you a pair, dirt cheap too. I have 140 90 15 and dont have any of the issues you speak off. Once you have received your new supports, sell your old ones.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/10/09 at 10:01:09

You can mount the bracket on the exterior of the fender.  You can build up the other mount points with washers but I did do that.
Truss head bolts or carriage bolts would then give you maximum clearance.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 07/11/09 at 08:41:22

I can vouch for SevierSavage's home-fabricated mounts ... have a set and they are spot-on! Mine are installed on inside of fender, but I'd bet they could install between fender rail and outside wall of fender too ... then the mtg bolt would not stick into the fender well as much as with brackets installed conventionally ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/11/09 at 08:48:25

DocNeedles wrote on 07/09/09 at 20:47:37:
I have an oversized back tire a 140 90 15 on my Savage and did have a previous problem with scoring of the tire but I put on OEM saddle bag supports and  ground down the questionable bolt head which fixed the problem but gave me another problem in that the edge flange of the left hand support rubs against the tire when I have a passenger on.  I think that I could grind down the flange to give clearance or try putting it on the outside of the fender.  Anyone else run into this problem and if so how did the solve it?
DocNeedles

just don't have a passenger... or ask the passenger to lean on the right... LOL just kidding... good luck ;)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rubbing left saddlebag support

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.